LegacyGT.com

!!!!~~ Help Help I Think I Royaly Screwed Up My Car~~!!!!!

So tonight i was being dumb and i was at a light and for some reason i wanted to g ofast and i hada turn to my left

so i duno waht i did but i took teh corner and wen i got out i wasnt in gear, and there was a horrible smell so i went to a parkign lot and drove around a bit ... seems like it still smeels, and like wen i engage the clutch with a gear with some gas at the top it seems ot catch and be stuttery....

PLEASE TELL ME WTF TO DO, AND IS THIS COVERED UNDER WARANTY???

-alex

Also. If it makes you feel better.

My buddy has an '02 WRX Wagon with a ton o mods and an 18g turbo putting out 23lbs of boost. Drag races the thing all the time - autox too - still on his STOCK clutch after almost 70K miles! Don't know if the two clutches are the same...

You should be ok. From your subject line, I thought you had done something *really* bad, like gotten soapy water on your intercooler.

Not to digress but, why, WHY, don't bring back the nightmares.:confused:

I keed I keeed

Methinks you let the clutch out without the car completely in gear. The clutch was trying to grab the gear and you put the power down, causing it to overheat (burn) and come out of gear.

Ummm.... NO. If you're not fully in a gear and release the clutch, a manual transmission might indeed pop out of gear, but it wouldn't cause any clutch slippage (since you're not trying to transfer any actual power, the intput shaft would be spinning freely once it popped out of gear) so you wouldn't get the Dreaded ClutchStink.

Sounds like you just wore a few thousand miles of life off your clutch with a a poor launch (perhaps abetted by the mythical clutch-delay valve) and while the clutch was slipping it heated, leading to chatter (from glazing the surface or perhaps warping the friction plate.)

Warranty? Maybe. It's also possible that there's nothing wrong that persisted when it cooled down, we haven't heard from Alex1 since the first panicked message. I think the warranty thing will depend on the shop, but from what I've heard, Subaru is more lenient about warranty on clutches than many other brands. (/begin parade of people howling that their warranty was voided because they modded the car to make 500 hp and broke something during a drag race and how dare Subaru not fix it...)

DKB

Guest *Jedimaster*
well at first i thoughtitwasatransmission thing but then i was thinking maybe the brakes or clutch but after trying to read what you wrote i haven't a fucking clue and i think you might need to bring it to subaru and maybe they can fix it under warranty but just remember to be careful out there and slow down son.

It will go away over th next xouple days. i accidently slipped the hell out of my clutch on a huge hill the 2nd day i had the car and thought the same. the thing would buck in first gear. i learned my lesson.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Seemingly alot of people are having problems with the clutch delay valve. I think I did the same thing last week. resulted in a godawful smell and alot of clutch stutter. It goes away after around 10 miles of local driving.

Nvertheless. It is an issue that I am concerned about so I will write subaru about it. I was not abusing the car and I found it a bit disconcerting that under sporty driving the clutch would lock midstroke.

Ill keep you posted.

gahhh thanks so much guys

NO i was not drinking i was just balls tired and was in an idiotic mood to do something so stupid

Yeah thsi happend at like 1120 last night so tis been aroudn 12 hours so im gona go try it out in a few, and drive around locally...

Anyone think that if for somereason i really did a number on the clutch, that if replaced, it would result in having clutch smell and acceleration stuttering? cuz my car never had either...

thanks again you guys are so helpful!!

-alex

Archived