LegacyGT.com

Pirelli Pzero Nero Review...

edmundu

Well, I just got back from the tire dealer, with swapping out the Proxes4 with these! To quote a popular 80's phrase...."Oh My Goddddd!!!!! Night and Day would be an understatement! I cannot believe that these tires feel that much different!

First and foremost, the Nero's are quiet. But even better, there is no squirminess to be found. These tires transform the car completely, I am utterly stoked! Words cannot describe my elation.... well maybe?

I can honestly say that in this case, I got what I paid for. Even though these tires were $34 ea more , I feel that they are worth every last penny! There were only 4 advantages to the Toyo's, one of them being price, another was that it had a rim flange protector, another was the pzero's can tramline, and finally the Pirelli's have a tendency to flat spot in cold weather, but it clears out after a couple of miles.

I keep my car garaged, so the 4th one doesn't really apply to me. I am more than willing to give up the rim protector, and the price at first was a little tough, but as soon as I turned the corner from the shop, I completely forgot about it, these are that GOOD!! I drove it on concrete, pavement, both rough & new, and so far no tramlining!

I would recommend these tires to anyone! I am really surprised that I like these tires that much, especially since years ago, I had Pirelli's that were pretty bad, they were noisy and wore out in like 10-12k miles, in addition to being expensive! They just left me with a bad taste, so I was kinda of reluctant to give these a try, but I am glad I did!!! I think another member here shod there 2 LGT's with each of these tires, and came away wishing they had put Pzero's on both...... I couldn't agree more, I know exactly what they meant by that!!!

Really, if anyones on the fence between these 2, do yourself a favor, and go ahead and get the Toyo's, being that they have a 45day/500 miles trial, you are only out the mounting, which for me was like 40 bucks, then afterwards come get the Pirelli's, and you will see why I'm gushing over these pieces of rubber!! Or just learn from my experience, and just get the PZero's!!!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I put about 400 miles on the Proxes4, and they either were starting to get a little better on the humming sounds, or I was starting to tune them out, they also were sticking better too! Either way as soon as I left the dealer the Pirelli's instantly impressed me!

For me, on the regular 2.5i:

The Re92s are the same as the P Zero Neros, before the mold release compound has worn off the Pirellis. Once the mold release compound is gone, the tires are no longer the limiting factor in the car's lateral performance, the driver is.

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

I'll second that. I have about 750 miles on my Neros, and I love them. They do get wild on metal grate bridges though! Excellent in the rain, and very comfortable in the dry. IMO, makes the handling of the car a lot more predictable.

hehe, I still got you all beat.. Michelin 225/45/17 Pilot Sport A/S for $500 TOTAL (includiing mounting).. talk about hookups and the such ;) Glad you like them nevertheless.. it's a good thing that there's like a billion tires out there for everyone to buy (that's why I didnt bother to list out "tires that you must have" in the tires forums, everyone has their own needs).

Let us know the overall treadlife and wear as this is probably the largest measure of "bang per the buck"...

Keefe

Keefe

I put 225/45/17's PZN M/S on my 01 LGT for the summer (mid-April through mid-Nov). I only have a few hundred miles on them, but in the past week I've been able to drive them in dry, wet and snowy conditions (I live high-up in the Rockies - Subaru country). So far, they've been awesome on dry and wet roads, not too hot in snow.

These have my recommendation.

BTW - Thanks to Keefe for helping me select size.

Here's a link to Pirelli's P Zero page...

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyres/catalog/tyre_category.jhtml;jsessionid=ZTCRMCHGI24Q5FYKJOPCFEY?catid=US_UHP&productid=2603

Well, if I was able to get 20k miles from the re92's, and still have 8/32" of rubber left (lots of highway) And from speaking with Luke at Tirerack, I think he said something like this....

Luke: "Oh yeah you probably won't see anything past 15k on the re92's. "

Me: "I say well I'm at 20k, and still have 8/32 remaining? "

Luke: "You must be driving all highway? If you started to drive around town, they would be gone in 12k..."

Me: " So how do the Pirelli's last in comparison? I ask because the last set of Pirelli's

I had lasted about 12k?"

Luke: " If you can get (projected 60k) miles out of re92's, the Pzero's will last twice as long."

Me: " Thank you very much!"

Me:" Calls local dealer to arrange return of Proxes 4, in exchange for Pzero Nero m+s!"

Keefe,

Nice price on the Michelin's, I couldn't get those for less than $175 ea! It is always good to have friends....

Archived