LegacyGT.com

super vibration after mounting new wheels/tires

joedirtae09

Over the weekend I took off my stock wheels/tires for some used Rotas and Falken summer tires and Im in love with the look but hating the ride...

I was expecting more noise from the summer tires but not such a rough ride. Once I hit the 60-70mph mark, I get crazy vibration....steer wheel gets mad shaky.

So Im wondering what the issue could be, it might be a combinatin of all these...

1. my car doesnt like goin from 17 to 18inch

2. these tires are about to die on me

3. i need some hub rings?

Im thinking about getting some all seaonal tires for a softer ride,

wondering if I need to get some hub rings...

What do you guys think?

Rims werent bent... I checked them before I bought them.

Im pretty sure the tires are balanced... I took it to the Dealer to have them mounted and to have TPMS installed.

The tires could and prob be worn unevenly... I guess Im goin to have to get new tires.

What about getting some hub rings... i heard they reduce vibration.

Being that they were ROTAs, they shouldn't need a hubcentric ring...provided they were made for Subaru to begin with.

According to Xenonk's wheel/tire thread, "-Center bore must have to be 56mm or larger (if the bore is larger than 56mm, use hub centric rings to fit properly to your wheel's center bore, but not always necessary if you have wheels with conical lugnut seating, the wheel will eventually center itself, but that's your call of how you want to go about that)."

Something along the same lines happened to me with my '04 WRX. I had taken off the TSW Kayalami wheels for winter & went back to stock. At 65-70mph, the steering wheel would start to shimmy and shake...only accelerating, never decreasing speed. And it was only at THAT speed...didn't happen faster or slower than that. Fast forward a few months, and my f***ing rear wheel ACTUALLY came the f**k off...WHILE DRIVING...shearing 3 studs, and bending the other 2. Why...or more appropriately HOW, you ask?

Because I was a dumb a**, and didn't check to see if my buddy had taken the hubcentric ring off the hub when we swapped wheels over. :insertfacepalmhere: 110% my own stupid fault...but those that do not learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

I would suggest calling Rota and finding out if your specific wheels require hubcentric rings or not. Most aftermarket wheels now require them and will ride like crap, especially as speed increases. Don't expect your lugs to perfectly center the wheels, they will be close but not what you need. Next would be to bring them into a shop and have them rebalanced, as they could have gone out of balance just as normal tires occasionally do over their wear life. Just a couple of thoughts.

I would suggest calling Rota and finding out if your specific wheels require hubcentric rings or not. Most aftermarket wheels now require them and will ride like crap, especially as speed increases. Don't expect your lugs to perfectly center the wheels, they will be close but not what you need. Next would be to bring them into a shop and have them rebalanced, as they could have gone out of balance just as normal tires occasionally do over their wear life. Just a couple of thoughts.

I took your advice and called around. I found out that the center bore is 56.1 for the 5x100 wheels, which is actually hubcentric. There is no space for a hub ring, its physically not possible.

Im thinking the tires just have a nasty un-even tread. Ordering some new all seasonals this week. Hopefully that will fix the shaking, I'll be so pissed if the wheels are bent!!!

Archived