LegacyGT.com

This H6 I've been hearing about....

Whenever you swap an engine into a car that wasn't made for it there is going to be some modification required. If you want a 5 speed and your car is an automatic (Or vice versa) you will have to modify things to make the new transmission fit. The wiring is also a concern. Sometimes its not easy, never mind time consuming.

The early EZ30 (1996-2004) 6 cylinder had 217 HP (6,000 RPM) and 213 ft/lbs of torque (4,400 RPM).

The newer EZ30 (2004-2009) had 242 HP (6,600 RPM) and 219 ft/lbs of torque (4,200 RPM).

The old EZ30 was only offered with an automatic transmission, so you'll still have to modify the wiring harness if you want a stick shift. The newer EZ30 was offered with either a manual or automatic transmission, but had a drive-by-wire throttle. You may be able to use a newer EZ30 with an older EZ30 throttle body, but you might need to make an adapter as the intake manifolds between the engines are different. After you have that sorted out you still have to decide which ECU to use. Switching will be almost impossible. The newer EZ30 had variable valve lift and an active valve control system, while the older EZ30 had variable intake geometry. Getting these features to work properly with a different ECU will be nearly impossible. You'd be better off either getting an old EZ30 with an old EZ30 ECU and sticking with an automatic transmission, or modifying the harness for use with a manual transmission. You could also get a newer EZ30 with a newer EZ30 ECU and just find a way to make the throttle in your car drive by wire, but then you have other issues like the traction control, ABS, digital instrumentation, and all that fancy jazz to figure out. In short, if you want to swap a brand new engine into an old car you're pretty much going to need to also swap half the car.

The EG33 is WAY easier to make work in your car than any EZ30, and its just about as powerful.

After thumbing it over in my brain I've come up with a solution.

Buy whatever engine and transmission you want. Take the car, the engine, the transmission and several thousand dollars to a well respected dealership, repair shop, or performance shop and tell them you want "This engine... In this car." You'll get a lot of places turning you down, but someone might be bold enough to take the job if the price is right.

Lots of good info!! Thanks guys! I was thinking of doing an sti swap over the winter. That's gonna run me about 5 grand! And I'd be able to do upgrade after upgrade but. That's alot of cash! The six swap would be a hell of alot cheaper but, probably not much upgrade room.

Bringing my car somewhere is not an option. I would never trust anyone to work on my car unless they were just helping me.

Not sure if they have cams for the 3.3 H6 but you could have the stock cams re-ground. Tuning the ECU might be harder than the newer EJ25s with the Accessport but someone out there can do it for you.

Exhausts are mostly custom made anyway unless you buy one in a box. Same with turbos. Supercharging the 3.3 H6 is a popular option but I'm not sure how most people set up their systems.

And what good would an aftermarket MAF do?

Still, the EG33 is a good motor with decent power. Its bigger and heavier than an STi motor, but its still got good power for an N/A motor of its time. My 3.3L Pathfinder engine was designed 5 or so years after the EG33 and only makes 170 HP and 202 ft/lbs of torque. The older EG33 H6 makes way more horsepower and a bit more torque. In a car like the Legacy its a good price/performance swap that's relatively easy to finish.

I'm new, here, and subscribed because I need to find a used 4.44.

I have a '92 Svx with 285K on it, and the tranny is slipping pretty bad, so

I am ready to make the 4.44 switch. The problem is, I can't find a transmission from LGT 2.5 anywhere around herre yet.

If anyone has a donor car that can loose the tranny, and read diff. please let me know.

Thanks all.

http://www.subaru-svx.net

p.s. Svx is a power monster. Subaru just didn't mate it to the tranny very well

p.s. Svx is a power monster. Subaru just didn't mate it to the tranny very well

No, they didn't.

They pretty much took the transmission out of the first generation Legacy and added 90 or so horses to it. The main issue is they didn't beef anything up. they pretty much gave the transmission a big motor and said "Well, looks like its time to go home!"

You probably already know this, but if you can't find a replacement transmission soon enough a $75 aftermarket transmission cooler and a transmission flush and filter might be enough to make the stock transmission last a bit longer. It won't cure the slipping issue, but it might slow the progression of the problems long enough for you to keep driving it until you find a new transmission.

No, they didn't.

They pretty much took the transmission out of the first generation Legacy and added 90 or so horses to it. The main issue is they didn't beef anything up. they pretty much gave the transmission a big motor and said "Well, looks like its time to go home!"

You probably already know this, but if you can't find a replacement transmission soon enough a $75 aftermarket transmission cooler and a transmission flush and filter might be enough to make the stock transmission last a bit longer. It won't cure the slipping issue, but it might slow the progression of the problems long enough for you to keep driving it until you find a new transmission.

Thanks. I've gone through that, and I'm ready to adjust the brake band now, to slow it some more.

I have a cooler in place.

cant you use any performance parts that with with a ej22 and use them in the 33? i thought the ej22 with just the same as the EG33, just shorter. that opens up rods and pistons for your h6 and bearings.. the crank can just be reconditioned and drilled and balanced and chamfered, it could probably rev to 8500 then.

cant you use any performance parts that with with a ej22 and use them in the 33? i thought the ej22 with just the same as the EG33, just shorter. that opens up rods and pistons for your h6 and bearings.. the crank can just be reconditioned and drilled and balanced and chamfered, it could probably rev to 8500 then.

I believe that is true, but the details are out of my realm, and budget. Svx World Network --> http://www.subaru-svx.net/ would be a good source for that particular info.

I stopped building engines about 20 years ago. I did alright with my 2.6 Hemi Arrow for a long time, and had a lot of fun with it.

Anybody moving out of the 4.44 auto they have, and somewhat close by would be greatly appreciated.

Archived