LegacyGT.com

Help me find the right model SUV for my $5k

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already have a good vehicle for on-road use. :)

I just found that 2000 and earlier Durangos had two-start front-impact crash test results (lousy, like MikeNH said), but 2001 and later got four stars. Cherokees got three stars. That's kind of significant since I'll be driving this a lot on a road that is notorious for collisions (US-2 in Washington State).

I loved my 98 Exploader. It was the Eddie Bauer so it was very comfy and had the fuel economy computer and all the goodies Ford had to offer in 98. I only recommend the 5.0 not only for the much better engine, but also the transmission that comes with that upgraded engine.

The Durango seems like a great option due to the price, but I would carefully inspect any Pathfinders for frame rot. Almost everyone I've seen in my area from the mid 90s has been dangerously rotted. I don't think you can go wrong with a Grand Cherokee from that era either.

My personal favorite is the raised toyota 4x4 pickup as seen in Back to the Future. :)

+1 for the Jeep cherokee! I've owned two of them, one had over 200k miles and the other a 175k. Both ran great, and never left me stranded. I regret selling my last one and will probably buy another this year. When buying one, make sure you check the rear main seal for leaking, and inspect the ball joints.

Here's another alternative:

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/t_4216309.jpeg

No comfort (not even servo steering), ear plugs recommended. On the other hand - a flatbed big enough for a party. Land Rover 110FC

I'd rather have a Unimog instead. :lol: Spine cracking suspension, go anywhere capability, insane pricetag. :lol:

I already have a good vehicle for on-road use. :)

I just found that 2000 and earlier Durangos had two-start front-impact crash test results (lousy, like MikeNH said), but 2001 and later got four stars. Cherokees got three stars. That's kind of significant since I'll be driving this a lot on a road that is notorious for collisions (US-2 in Washington State).

Im not sure where you are looking but the Durango got 4 stars on everything but offest head on driver-side. Has curtain airbags (this was optional) and while some may not have heard of a Durango "roll bar" the frame has a banded ring around the D pillar that helps to prevent roof crushing in the event of a rollover. Somewhere I read that several Durango could be stacked on top of each other:lol:.

I would not worry about the tranny. Any big truck and big truck parts are going to wear much faster than a comparatively light weight automobile.

We bought our 1998 4Runner SR5 5 speed brand new and just 30 miles away from 200k miles. We got with the optional larger stock wheels and tires. We have used it for commuting, skiing, fishing, light hauling and it has never let us down. I like the size of the 4Runner for getting around the fire roads out here in the PNW. Easy to turn around on tight roads.One clutch and one set of brakes. About to get it's second timing belt. I just put in new plugs and wires. Does not leak any oil. AND still gets in the 22-23 mpg on the highway. We are saving it for our daughter to be her first car. As a matter a fact, I think it is time to go fishing... :)

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot to mention that 6 years ago we added a 3rd row seat to it for little tikes. So, now it seatbelt 8.

Cheers

Mike

^ You guys know I also have a 86 22r sr5 4x4 pickup right? Love those locking hubs. One time the wife says "honey we can go on that trail, thats for motorbikes and jeeps. It says jeeps only!!!" I laughed my ass off. Apparently she did not realize that old 4x4 toy offroad GREAT. No suv will touch this thing (an H1 is no suv)

• 4 weeks later...

I borrowed a friend's Durango for a few days while my car was in pieces in his garage, and I want something less thirsty.

And that was with the "small" 4.7L motor, too. :lol:

Gonna test drive a Cherokee next.

I borrowed a friend's Durango for a few days while my car was in pieces in his garage, and I want something less thirsty.

And that was with the "small" 4.7L motor, too. :lol:

Mine = Cast Iron Block, Cast Iron Head, 2v/cyl, curb weight over 4200lbs. NEVER gonna get good gas mileage. I average 14-15 city to 18-20 hwy. Towing large load = 8-10mpg long distance:mad:.

The sailboat version of the Durango is called a FERROCEMENT hull. If you never heard of it, check it out and laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship

Durango = ferrocement.

Good stuff. In a similar position, considering picking up a truck/utility vehicle..

Leaning towards a Jeep, had two (Wrangler and Grand Cherokee) before switching to Subaru, and plenty of them for sale around me..

Isuzu Vehicross

Im tyring to find one for my beater, but it eats more gas than my stg 2 lgt :(

I was originally going to ask if you were being serious but I figured I'd check the specs of this vehicle before I passed judgment.

I'm glad I did...

The entire bottom half of the car is plastic, so you won't have rocks or sticks or brush ******* up your paint all the time. The diffs are lockable. The engines aren't as bad as I thought they would be either. The cool part is that when you're driving on-road its drivetrain is electronically controlled AWD just like a Legacy GT, but it also has low range 4WD when you go off-road. 18" wheels for the 1999-2001 models look alright, but the rest of the car is downright fugly. It's body-on-frame design is also intriguing for a Japanese SUV of the time. Too bad they only made 4,100 of them that ever made it to the states.

I was originally going to ask if you were being serious but I figured I'd check the specs of this vehicle before I passed judgment.

I'm glad I did...

The entire bottom half of the car is plastic, so you won't have rocks or sticks or brush ******* up your paint all the time. The diffs are lockable. The engines aren't as bad as I thought they would be either. The cool part is that when you're driving on-road its drivetrain is electronically controlled AWD just like a Legacy GT, but it also has low range 4WD when you go off-road. 18" wheels for the 1999-2001 models look alright, but the rest of the car is downright fugly. It's body-on-frame design is also intriguing for a Japanese SUV of the time. Too bad they only made 4,100 of them that ever made it to the states.

It also had very high ranking in off roading ability from alot of the reviews i read online, unlike the current SUV's that soccer moms drive. Also the shocks have the external reservoirs and comes stock recaro seats.

This car is rarer than lgt's :)

I found some around 5k, but Im not driving a yellow car

I like the looks of the Rodeo (or anything with that style of fender bumps) but don't know anything about them other than the fact that Honda was rebadging them for a while. What's so POS-ey about them? Motor, interior, drivetrain, or... ?

Gosh it could have been a lemon but my ex's mom bought one with 30k miles on it that had a clean carfax.:rolleyes: I ended up spending the next two years in their garage dating their busted ass Rodeo constantly fixing it instead of going on dates.:spin:

It was over a decade ago and I was doing B-series transplants on Honda civics at the time and the Rodeo was my personal nightmare. Maybe it was thrashed by the original owner. Maybe it was a "sunday job"... Maybe the idea of buying one TEN YEARS LATER fills me with a dread for your potential troubles.

Again, maybe we had a lemon. Wonder what consumer reports said about it.

There were some issues with fuel pumps and sending units, my sister has an 01 rodeo. Mechanically it seems ok otherwise, but it is a unibody. Personally, I would definitely steer clear of Explorers that TTB front end sucked, actually there really isn't a great vehicle for what you are looking for but there are decent ones they all have some problems it is really a matter of what you can live with.

My personal fav is the xterra, it is body on frame, can be had with a manual tranny and has a tough drivetrain and a lever actuated 2spd transfercase. Front end is independent but it was also a dana 44 diff so it can certainly be upgraded.

Had a 1998 Durango with the 360 (5.9) until 2006 and 112k. Loved the machine, but it had a lot of issues and luckily I had a 7 year 100k warranty.

Issues: Ball Joints are HORRIBLE and factory sealed (need to get greasable aftermarket ones). They will go out under 100k gauraunteed. They even had a recall I believe due to wheels falling off. Head cracked at 55k, transmission/ECu issues at 70k (reflash fixed this), Rear LSD completely replaced at 92k, and the rear drums rusted/disintegrated after 98k.

Still loved "Dirty Kate", the 5.9 made all its power real low making it easy to drive around town or keep pace on steep mountain trails (3.92 gearing helped as well :) )

• 3 weeks later...

Archived