LegacyGT.com

For CT, Should I tint?

Magic Marker

I went right to the line of legal and didn't cross it.

Read my info again... All windows with 35% film cross the legal limit. You would need to put on 50% VLT film to obtain a total of 35% VLT on the window as a whole... This is where there is a fine line that you can argue if you ever get nabbed with 35% film testing at 24-25% VLT, every tinter I go to tells you outright any FILM darker than 35% you need to sign a waver saying you know its illegal.

As far as Magic Marker, Please double check with the DMV though, because I'm not sure how importing a car from NJ will work. As I noted I have never had to get any of my cars inspected, and that was even buying one that was unregistered and I just walked in with bill of sale, old reg and title and walked out with plates and new title coming in the mail.... Didn't even have to show them the car (which was good because I had it all apart at the time)

I think one of the major issues is that tint companies tell you how much light passes through them. The states usually tell you how much light can be blocked.

For instance: 35% tint from a tint company means 35% light passage, whereas 35% tint from a state law usually means 35% blocked.

http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nysdmv.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=28&p_created=972051240&p_sid=4s5tqxdk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dGludA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Here is another interesting finding for NYS Tint http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/opinion1-09.pdf

Not always true, it depends on where you read the law from.. I found a chart specifically stating all states tint laws in VLT ratings, which is Visable Light Transmission... so that's not how much is blocked, its how much can pass through.

http://www.tintlaws.com/

I also stand corrected on this site, they actually say must allow XX% through... so in CT you have to pass 35% of light through... so that means 35% VLT film is illegal, you shouldn't go any darker than 50% film, that is if you want to follow the rules. Hell my car is 5% that means only ~3.5% of light gets through... LMAO!

Hence why I stated it depends on where you read the law from. Not may states make it easy to find the law in their books online. Never mind how cryptic most laws are written in those damn books.

Well I have 35% all the way around, so I'm guessing I'm technically illegal. I've been driving around cops in NJ and they didn't even take a second look. I drove in CT once and no looks either.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

My old dd beretta was 35% film all the way too and I never got a second look... And I fully intend on tinting my Leggy the same 35% film on the fronts and 20% on the rear windows, the same as how my wifes Impreza is done.

Typically if your not driving around with BLACKED out windows and some other violation, you will not be bothered. They will usually hit you with tint, after pulling you over for something else if they are pissed off enough.

Archived