LegacyGT.com

help~~ about tire pressure monitor

jp7179

on a serious note....

Do the new rims have TPMS sensors in them?

If so are they the old ones or replacement ones?

If they are new, you will have to pay Subaru to reset the sensors to your new ones. If they are the old ones, my guess is the tire shop broke one switching them.

If you didn't get new sensors, find a pretty little decal and place it gingerly on your dashboard as to obscure the pesky light. IMHO it's pointless anyway as it alerts you too often and is very tempermental, leaving you not trusting it, so if it were to go off chances are you'd just ignore it anyway. Use your sense and look at your tires regularly and check the PSI occaisonally.

thanks guys.. but i do have a question.. i need the old air?? or do you just mean remove the old sensor from the old rims and putting it into the new one??

THe old air response was a joke.

You do need to move the TPMS sensors to the new wheels. Your car is expecting a sensor in each wheel to report what the pressure is. With those missing, your car will turn the light on since it doesn't know what the tire pressures are. If you move the old sensors to the new rims, the light will go out after a while.

Thing is, the tire shop you got the rims and tires from and mounted should have told you about the TPMS sensors. They're not exactly a unique feature to Subarus.

The sensors are likely still attached to the valve stems of your old rims, the shop should have recognized that. If you still have your old rims, have a look at the valve stem on the inside of the wheel, they are pretty obvious. If they are still on the old wheels, the shop will have to remove and remount your tires to install the sensors. Don't let them try to charge you anymore to do that. FYI, I did have to drive my car about 10 miles before the TPMS light went off after installing the old sensors on new wheels.

Archived