LegacyGT.com

synthetic gear oil?

Its time for me to change the tranny/diff fluids in my car. I have heard from a tuner around my area that running synthetic in the sti/6spd transmission they always had problems with it and they would blow. Well I have the 5MT. Anyone else here using synthetic gear oil? Or should I just use the traditional 90W regular stuff?

Hey I was AF too. Years ago.

Go the the Vendor Fred Beans, call them and order Subaru Extra-S don't waste yourtime with anything else.

It's like 12.00 a quart. But it's what most here will tell you to use. It's 75w-90.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Beans won't sell quarts anymore. I just used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic LS. Shifts like butter. I had 75w-140 before, it did not shift as nice even hot.

:lol: The 140 is probably too thick for the gearbox. Save that for those straight-cut and unsynchronized gearboxes that you may find in some odd older tractors.

Not that the 140 will do any damage to the gearbox, it's just that the gearbox isn't really designed for it.

OK, if you happen to live in Death Valley the 140 may be fine.

Just check that the oil is suitable for LSD diffs, some oils have additives that are bad for the LSD diff package.

453747.png

Beans won't sell quarts anymore. I just used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic LS. Shifts like butter. I had 75w-140 before, it did not shift as nice even hot.

That's bummer, I just bought some 8 weeks ago.

Oh god it's true, I just received a email from Jeremy :(

They do sell redline on the site.

I'll fess-up, I do have redline in my rearend...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

well i went to the dealership today to ask about getting my diff fluids changed as well as my transmission fluids changed too. 300 bucks!?!?! wtf?! Is it that complex or are the just raping me without lube?

Same as oil change except that you don't have any filter to change.

May be a bit more tricky to fill up the oil but nothing that's extremely hard and most transmission fluid bottles do have a special pipe/hose for it these days. If not just a piece of plastic hose (around 8 to 10mm outer diameter) and a drill of the same size, drill a hole in a cap and pull the hose through with a tight fit and you have a filler cap for transmission fluid.

453747.png

Yea the auto hobby shop will have the suction gun or long funnel for you to use.

Hint on the tranny oil, you need to have the rear of the car higher then the front to get all the old stuff out.

5 quarts will do both. Make sure they have 50 or 60 torqx bit for the tranny plug. The rear diff is a 1/2 drive.

Hey, we don't call them stealerships for no reason. Did you ask them if that price comes with a Happy ending ;)

http://mgmotorwerks.com/images/website%20005.jpg

i was able to find this stuff locally. put it in my 6mt bee, and now she shifts smoother then silk. no gear noise or whine either. Lubro-Moly got fairly good reviews on BITOG. comes as factory fill on most german cars (Porsche, BMW, and Audi)

Extra-S is the schiznet. If you can't get quarts find quarts, just GB a 5gal with a couple of locals and split it out. If you have any local independent shops that specialize in subaru they may have it on hand and could either sell you what you need or do the service for a reasonable rate.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I had a shop put in some synthetic 70w-90 gear oil in. The same day, I started getting a gear grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th under boost. The other gears seemed to shift fine. I found on the WRX page that this is common and it goes away if you use the Subaru extra S gear oil. I bought the gear oil from a dealership in LA and the gear grind went away!

I had the gear oil change at a local speed shop and they charged $20. I can't believe that a dealership wants $300.

Here is where to find Extra S gear oil. This Subaru dealership in LA has it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1946774

Looks like Ill be using redline. But there is no way I am going to have that dealership do that! I will do it myself for that much money or I will ask a different place and see what they charge cause that is royal rape.

Archived