LegacyGT.com

Been searching exhaust options

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about do the Hogzilla stage 1(1 washer) and a downpipe from Perrin? you get sound and power and it extends the life of your car? It looks stock too. Keeps the sleeper...everyone around here wants to race be and I blow thier doors off, but I am stage 2 excepts for the access port, I left it on stage 1. I wanna keep the car. Although the perrin BOV kinds gives it away. But at a stoplight...... :) ALso do the Subie recommended silencer removal from the intake and put in a K and N, you will notice and hear the difference. WHOOSH, then it sucks mass amounts of air that you can hear inside the cabin. If you really want to hear it take off the ram induction, but you lose power then.

Since I live in an emissions free county I'm thinking about going with 3" straight pipes for a cbe. There are a couple youtube videos for it. Sounds like a V8.

Straight pipe sounds awesome if you are just cat back. If you get an aftermarket down pipe be prepared for all hell to break loose! I had straight pipes on mine when i was just cat back. Sounded great! As soon as I went with a DP it was insane how loud it was. Im a fan of the aggressive sound but even that was too crazy for me.

Hey guys, thanks for the all the input. I did check out the compilation thread. I'm stuck between the HKS and the SPT catback.

HKS gets my vote. If I didn't need to get a new downpipe to use it, I definitely would have picked up the HKS in a heartbeat.

However, if you want something quiet (relatively) and on the cheap side, try going around to your local muffler shops and have them make a CBE for you (someone has already suggested this). I currently have a custom CBE with Magnaflow mufflers that I picked up from a member on here and it sounds great without droning at all due to the extra resonator that was welded in.

I'm partial to my SPT catback. IMO I don't think anything sounds better (Cobb is a close second...but def 2nd). It's not the loudest but god damn is it throaty and gutteral. Sounds way too good.

Only thing is it's 2.5" (great if marrying to stock dp or 2.5" aftermarket....) but a 3" option would have been nice.

Agreed, love my SPT. It is pricey, but you can buy the Bosal version for much cheaper. Search Bosal.

SPT is the nicest one I have heard on the forum IMO, especially paired to an aftermarket DP. I did a little custom work to make it a full 3" system - it's an easy job for any muffler shop to do, and worth it for max flow. The sound is deep and throaty, not too loud, but WAY louder than stock (with the DP). I'm 33 years old, and any louder and it would be too much.

Magnaflow sounds good too

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Agreed, love my SPT. It is pricey, but you can buy the Bosal version for much cheaper. Search Bosal.

SPT is the nicest one I have heard on the forum IMO, especially paired to an aftermarket DP. I did a little custom work to make it a full 3" system - it's an easy job for any muffler shop to do, and worth it for max flow. The sound is deep and throaty, not too loud, but WAY louder than stock (with the DP). I'm 33 years old, and any louder and it would be too much.

Magnaflow sounds good too

I really dont notice a throaty sound with my spt. Im running turbo back with it. I really dont think the sound is that loud or throaty. Ive heard turbo back magnaflow though and that sounds awesome! very throaty and aggressive.

I'm partial to my SPT catback. IMO I don't think anything sounds better (Cobb is a close second...but def 2nd). It's not the loudest but god damn is it throaty and gutteral. Sounds way too good.

Only thing is it's 2.5" (great if marrying to stock dp or 2.5" aftermarket....) but a 3" option would have been nice.

I agree I really like the my SPT, probably the quietest. After taking a 4 hour drive last weekend to an air show I was real glad that I didn't have a louder CBE. A loud one can be fun driving around town but can get real old on a long trip.

rick

I went from totally stock exhaust to full turboback (Perrin 3"/SPT 3") in the same day. The sound difference was very noticeable - it completely transformed the car. The stock exhaust is almost silent inside the car, you rev the gas and all you hear is engine; where as the turboback was 10x louder. Now I can barely hear the engine over the exhaust. For me it's as loud as I can stand; on long trips (3 hrs+) at fast speeds (80 mph+) it starts to wear on me a bit, but it's great around town. At idle, I can hear it 50' away- but at full throttle, it doesn't get that much louder. Not sure how/why people would want something louder. It's a pretty bad-ass sounding exhaust IMO. Then again, I'm probably older than the average guy on this forum, and it's been awhile since I've had a car with aftermarket exhaust... so maybe I'm skewed a bit.

Sound wise, I put the SPT in a category with Prodrive axlebacks, Magnaflow, Borla, Bosal, and to a lesser extent MeganRacing, Agency Power, HKS as the best sounding. To me, the ricier sounding ones are the Cobb, AVO, Perrin, Invidia, Xo2. Just my opinion.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Perrin imo is not ricey. It sounds so nice! Same with magnaflow. Megan racing to me has a very ricey tone. Its all preference. I like to hear my car when i drive. So that's why Im ditching the spt and going magnaflow. I got UEL headers for a reason to make it sound more burly. But that spt just doesnt bring out a very loud exhaust note. Again its a matter of tastes.

Archived