LegacyGT.com

Hate Turn signals!!

Perhaps this is slightly off-topic as it has evolved, but I *think* it refers to turn signals:

On my new '05 OBXT, there are lights in the side mirrors. They blink amber when I or the other objects in my pocket activate the keyfob. There is no mention of them in my edition of the owner's manual -- for example, on the bulb-changing page, I don't spot a bulb listed for them, though the other bulbs seem to be covered.

I had assumed -- and we all know about "assume" don't we? -- that they acted as auxiliary turn signals, but mine certainly do not seem to do so. I've sat in front of plate-glass windows, and nary a signal do I see.

In view of the fact that they don't seem to be mentioned in the manual, does anyone know if they do anything more than blink a couple of times when I lock or unlock the doors?

I had assumed -- and we all know about "assume" don't we? -- that they acted as auxiliary turn signals, but mine certainly do not seem to do so. I've sat in front of plate-glass windows, and nary a signal do I see.

In view of the fact that they don't seem to be mentioned in the manual, does anyone know if they do anything more than blink a couple of times when I lock or unlock the doors?

If you have lights in your mirrors that blink when you hit the remote and they don't when you put on your turn signals, you need to either take it back to the dealer or think about some laser surgery. I don't know how they could flash when you hit the remote and not when you hit the turn signal lever.

I will not say "never going back to VW/Audi" just yet... I certainly don't see any of their current crop of cars luring me away from my LGT though. The 2.0T A3 is nice, its 6spd is nice, its FWD is lacking (they're not ready with the Haldex AWD for the transverse 2.0T yet, it seems... going to limit that to the very pricey 3.2 DSG for now.) I'd much rather have a good 6spd manual in the Subies that the silly DSG... it's all very nice for wow factor, but it doesn't fit well with Subaru's tradition of building cars that are durable and drivable over the long term without having to plow lots of repair money into them. Had I bought the A3, it would definitely have been 6MT and let the gotta-have-its help them work out the bugs in the DSG.

DKB

Haldex, good one! :lol:

So, I'm another nitpicker.

I cannot see the turn signal indicators on the dashboard (I'm tall). And with the stereo cranked up, I often don't hear the click. So I am "that guy" driving down the road with a blinker on for miles. I hate that. :-)

If anyone figures out a louder relay or whatever, please post it. I'd buy one.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm in the same boat, i didnt think about that it might be the height that caused it to be out of view. maybe there is something directional about the light housing making it not reach my eyes up there.

although, i do tend to listen to the music loud. this hasn't happened in other cars i've driven though.

and i hate people who leave their blinkers on, i guess i'll have to go easier.

red beast has a point though: here in LA, you don't want to using the signals for changing lanes too often, or people will do the opposite of letting you in.

fmr360owner: i think what might have tricked you (and me) is that without the headlights in the on position (night time), the turn signals on the mirrors dont turn on... (is this correct? i haven't actually checked, but i think so)

and isn't it a little too easy to hit the key fob buttons in your pocket? sometimes i squat down to pick up something and i hear my car beep.

• 3 months later...

Bringing an old thread back from the dead but I agree with everyone that says the turn signal blinker sound is too quiet, and I have already left my blinker on a couple of times! I miss getting the audible feedback I get/gotten with my other cars. And the turn sginal has not cancelled itself either on a couple of times. Just venting I guess, but this has happned to me recently, on another note I have 400 miles already on my car, so 600 more and it will be broken in!

X

---

I prefer to have my quiet. The loud ones make me less likely to use them. As for as the self cancelation, haven't notice a problem. If you try using the turn signal in a Volvo, it doesn't switch off till the wheels are almost straight. Now that is distracting.

Does any one find the turn signals to be bothersome? They don't cancel themselves after turns very well. I find myself being the idiot who is driving down the road with his turn signals still flashing. I have seen postings about tweaking the computer to change thinks such as locking doors. Does any one know if the computer can be set to emit a tone if signal is left on for more than say 3 minutes.My Dodge Dakota had that feature( only thing I miss about it!) . Love my Legacy LGT!!!!!

I agree with you .I feel the same way. However you will find that its not OK on this forum to be critical of a fault on our cars.:rolleyes:

we don't use them in N.J.

if we did the other drivers would get a jump on our next move

Hahahaha so true!

I find the turn signal cancels fine, the problem I have is that its very quiet compared to my old car so I find myself leaving it on from time to time after changing lanes.

Bringing an old thread back from the dead but I agree with everyone that says the turn signal blinker sound is too quiet, and I have already left my blinker on a couple of times! I miss getting the audible feedback I get/gotten with my other cars. And the turn sginal has not cancelled itself either on a couple of times. Just venting I guess, but this has happned to me recently, on another note I have 400 miles already on my car, so 600 more and it will be broken in!

Yeah, the turn signals don't cancel very well. That, along with reverse being difficult to engage, and the floor mat hook breaking (yours probably hasn't yet, but it will), are annoyances that are really minor compared with what I like about the car. You'll get used to it.

Does any one know if the computer can be set to emit a tone if signal is left on for more than say 3 minutes. Love my Legacy LGT!!!!!

There is an aubile tone that stays on if they don't shut off. Get your hearing checked. No....I'm not joking....I never joke about ears. :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Yeah, the turn signals don't cancel very well. That, along with reverse being difficult to engage, and the floor mat hook breaking (yours probably hasn't yet, but it will), are annoyances that are really minor compared with what I like about the car. You'll get used to it.

Don't they have an updated floor mat hook? And it can be identified by the green dot on it? Mine is the original, so I'll just wait till it breaks. And yes, I already have issues with reverse, and the noise it makes, and how hard it is to engage. I already disabled the seatbelt chime with the help of the board and I am a happy camper. I have been noticing a little studder as well at low speeds mostly on second, and the clutch pedal is alittle heavy...then I just downshift and accelerate hard and all my worries go away! :D Go to save up for that AP!!!

X

---

Don't they have an updated floor mat hook? And it can be identified by the green dot on it? Mine is the original, so I'll just wait till it breaks.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I just got my early-build hook replaced today, and now I have the one with the dot. My understanding is that they still break eventually, though. It seems like kind of a dumb design, as opposed to using snaps or something, but whatever. No big deal. The car still kicks ass.

Sorry about the:offtopic: .

Archived