LegacyGT.com

It is about time, I need some opinions!

Kodax

Okay, I have owned my current Subaru for about almost 8 months and I think it is time for some friendly mods. I am a complete newbie when it comes to mods. I hope you guys can give me some friendly advise. :lol:

I am thinking that my budget will be $3k-$5k and that includes labor cost as well. I am also worried about my warranty, would doing all this void any of my warranty with SOA?

Sway bars

Okay, I know all 4th generation Legacies requires their sway bars to be changed due to the extreme body roll that stock Legacies are prone to. I am thinking about getting rallitek sway bars. They don't seem to be so bad and the price seems rather reasonable. But are there any startling problems with rallitek sway bars? Like rattling sounds?

Suspension

I am pretty clueless about this part.

My Legacy is a 3.0R non-limited, that means it doesn't have the suspension like the limited version does. I am hoping to either make the suspension similar to the limited version or could you guys give me some opinion on how to improve the suspension system?

Brakes

I am probably not going to change my brakes depending on how expensive it is to change the brakes. I am currently "okay" with the stock brakes, they aren't extremely powerful but it gets the job done. However, it will be nice to improve my brake system for better braking.

Any opinions are welcome! I appreciate it! :)

^What he said. Don't know what the 3.0R's run, by my 2.5i's Yoko Advans weren't very confidence inspiring. Replaced with Conti DWS all seasons.

About sway bars, I had the Rallitek 19mm RSB and that made a definite night and day difference. After a few months, I added the AVO reinforcement brackets, which firmed it up a little more. After that, I swapped the 19mm RSB out for a Perrin 22mm, which made a very small difference. Granted, I'm still on stock endlinks, and have yet to install my Rallitek 22m FSB. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have just stuck with the 19mm.

About your struts/shocks, IIRC 3.0R's come with Bilsteins, do they not? (someone else confirm this) And if they are, you may want to just look into springs like Pinks, Ralliteks or Tein H Techs.

About your brakes, if you haven't already, do a bed-in on them. If you're 'okay' with the stock brakes and it's still fairly new, if anything, install some stainless steel brake lines and do a full brake fluid flush to firm up the pedal feel.

Any and all of the mods listed above will void the warranty for that specific part and anything else your dealer suspects did any damage to. For example, if you install aftermarket springs on your shocks/struts, and they blow, they will not be covered under warranty because your dealer may/will say that the aftermarket springs 'were not meant for those shocks'.

Here's a good place to start looking for parts:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I have yet to look into sway bars, coilovers, or brake pads but I would recommend RCE(race comp engineering) for sway bars and coilovers. I'm not sure if they make sways for our cars but they make amazing sway bars and coilovers for the STI. I would suggest hawk brake pads. They have many different types to choose from. If your going to be racing or something of the sort you may want to choose a different brand.

Ok, start with Avo rear sways and Avo reinforment brackets and don't forget the endlinks. then save up and go kw/rce comp coilovers or bilstein with pinks(spring) or bc coilover if on a budget. Then upgrade your pads, rotors, brake lines. I recommend centric and stoptech pads or hawk hp plus, plz stay away from hawk hps. Then get the Front lca replaced with Avo or whiteline aftermarket lca. Now that u canstop and turn, it's time for tires/ hankook ventus v12 for daily and Dunlop star specs for the track. Now that your car is prepped, add power for more fun. I feel this is the best route to go when nodding a leggy. No point in going fast if you can't stop or turn.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am a complete newbie here. How many parts are there required to mod just for the sway bar itself? If I am reading correctly, I not only change the sway bars, I also have to change the reinforcement brackets?

I believe the limited version has Bilsteins and the non-limited version doesn't have it.

I looked up for Hawk hp plus but I couldn't find any for the 2009 model. Or am I looking at the wrong place? I was directed by the hawk website to a local distributer in WA.

Thanks for the fred bean link but they don't seem to be doing anything for 3.0R legacy. Does the GT parts fit onto the 3.0R legacy?

If you get sways, under hard cornering you can bend factory bracket, reinforment bracket are insurance to a weak link. Also some stronger endlinks suggested as well.

If you got bilsteins get some pinks. If not upgrade to suspension to your likeing.

I believe everything is the same on the 3.0r except motor and tranny.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am a complete newbie here. How many parts are there required to mod just for the sway bar itself? If I am reading correctly, I not only change the sway bars, I also have to change the reinforcement brackets?

I believe the limited version has Bilsteins and the non-limited version doesn't have it.

I looked up for Hawk hp plus but I couldn't find any for the 2009 model. Or am I looking at the wrong place? I was directed by the hawk website to a local distributer in WA.

Thanks for the fred bean link but they don't seem to be doing anything for 3.0R legacy. Does the GT parts fit onto the 3.0R legacy?

So you have the Limited? Or Non-Limited?

Most GT parts will fit onto the 3.0R with the exception of engine and tranny components. The only suspension parts that will not fit are the front sway bar and any front underbraces as they have a different configuration under there. The Rallitek front sway bar was made specifically for 2.5i's but I'm not sure if they will fit the 3.0R. Not sure about the brakes either. You can PM Fredbeans directly with specific 3.0R parts, they're more than happy to help.

You're not changing the brackets, you're reinforcing them. And you don't HAVE to, it's extra insurance that the OEM brackets don't snap, especially with a thicker bar. If you go under the car yourself, unhook the stock sway bar via the bushings only, give it a little twist with your fingers and you'll see and feel what we're talking about. It's like sheet metal.

In addition to the sway bar installation, the bushings and grease come with it, and you may or may not want/need to upgrade the endlinks. I'm running on stock endlinks but want to upgrade.

Hold on there, don't just buy everything without knowing yourself what you want out of your car in terms of suspension. What do you want to do exactly?

If you haven't already, read through this sticky first before you open your wallet:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mach-v-dans-mega-suspension-guide-5941.html

Hmm, I was hoping someone else with experience would chime in. I'll do my best with the knowledge I've gained to at least get you started. I'm still on stock shocks and springs so I can't tell you of any experience, but there are popular setups among daily drivers and the occasional track.

The cheapest route is aftermarket springs paired with your stock shocks. The popular springs that aren't too harsh but give a slightly firmer ride over stock, and give a slightly lower appearance are Eibachs (now under the name of Epic Engineering by Fred Beans), Tein H Techs, and Rallitek springs.

Now, if you want to upgrade the shocks, the two popular ones are Bilstein HD's and Koni inserts/shocks. These two can also be paired with the stock springs, as the stock shocks are notoriously under-dampened. The Koni's are adjustable, so you can tweak them to your liking. These were specifically made for Eibach springs, but can also be used with the other springs mentioned above. The same goes for Bilsteins, but are not adjustable and are more of a 'set-it-and-forget-it' mentality.

Regarding STi Pink springs, these are the firmest of the springs mentioned without being hip-jarring uncomfortable. The reason these springs weren't mentioned along with the others is because these aren't recommended for the stock shocks, and they are the most expensive at ~$500 a set, and would better serve their purpose paired with either the Bilsteins or Koni's.

Now if you'd like to know even more about a certain setup...

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?f=20

;)

So, it looks like you don't have very many options for the front anti-roll bar, but that's alright. The rear is more important. The most popular sizes seem to be 19mm and 22mm. I have a 22mm in mine, JDM Legacys come with a 19mm. I don't know how the added engine weight will affect choice of rear bar, but anything in the above range is probably fine.

Progress and AVO both offer mounting point reinforment brackets for the rear, which is the only bar that needs them. They are not bar specific and are highly recommended.

End links are not required, but are generally recommended with a new bar. Stick with solid type, like Kartboy or AVO, or even go with Rallitek HD which are the same style as stock, but built much better.

If you're in the snow belt, and they salt the roads in the winter, avoid coilovers. They won't hold up. Bilsteins will likely hold up better than Konis, if only because they are complete units instead of inserts. But it sounds like you'd be happier with the Koni/Eibach or Koni/Rallitek combo.

Archived