LegacyGT.com

Help me find the right model SUV for my wife

Help me find the right model SUV for my wife, please.

- 2007-2010, $18-$25k, under 45k miles

- Small to mid size, AWD

- “Style” very important, wants a luxury city SUV (no off-road)

I’m just getting started with research and am looking to buy in the next 60 days. Right now the models I’m considering are the Mercedes ML500 or ML 320, Infinity FX35 or FX45, or Lexus RX350. I’m not sure what else I should consider or if any of these are worth avoiding. My favorite of the bunch right now is the FX45, but it will be the wife’s decision. Not sure if there are any “cross” vehicles that we should consider.

I can pay cash or trade her ’04 Accord.. I usually buy/sell private party but I am not looking forward to paying tax on ~$25k outright… if I can trade her Honda in at least my tax bill would be considerably less, but then again I’ll lose $$ trading it in versus selling it outright. I still need to figure that out too. Will pay cash (HELOC, really), so may go private party to purchase...

Any insight appreciated!

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ML isn't a bad truck. By 2008 or so all of the usual new body style gremlins should have been worked out and a CPO'd one shouldn't be hard to find. Like any SUV or truck, they eat up tires and brakes. Now and then we'll see tie rods or rear struts on them needing replacement but that's not as common as it is on the late 90's ML. If you find a V8, they actually have some good power, too. The newer V8 (273 engine code) rips quite well in them.

What about a BMW X3?

My favorite suggestion so far! Right now I'm thinking X3 or FX45... with the RX330 still a consideration.

Range Rover? While I find these somewhat cool, I don't want one in my garage,

My '05 LGT

2011 Nissan Juke SL AWD. Top level trim equipped with every option (navigation, leather, sunroof, reverse cam, heated seats, digital climate control, high end audio, bluetooth, etc... etc..), for $24,550

Tiny AWD SUV with a 1.6L DI turbocharged engine, AWD mpg is 25 city/30 highway, will run 0-60 in 6.8 seconds and 1/4 mile in 15.2

http://www.nissanusa.com/juke

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring. We got an 08 in 09 for an amazing deal. I'm not a real SUV guy... but I love it. It's hella nice inside and moves pretty quickly for its size. They through in the "tech" package with DVD Bose etc. Only crappy thing is now there are 3 more on our block bc of me. Got MotorTrend Truck/suv/whatever of the year for 2008. Cool looking TONS o' room and moves quickly (for an suv thats not a SS or SRT8) Have fun.

Just bought an orange 05 FX35 AWD sport for my wife and she is very happy with it. Good blend of sportiness and utility, and we like the strange shape. We currently have an 01 QX4 for sale, but I don't think it meets many of your requirements. The Lexus RX we did not like because it felt numb to drive and we see them everywhere (there's 5 on my block). Good luck, my vote is for the FX35/45, I found ours in Chicago from a private party and drove it back to Denver 2 weeks ago.

We've had 9 Jeep Grand Cherokees in my family (2Xme, 5xdad, 2x bro-in-law). They are the best all-round SUV in my experience. We currently have an '06 Laredo AWD, but now that the 2011 models are out (sooooo nice) I'm thinking of trading up.

CX-7 and Murano are both good options too. The one thing about the Murano/FX35/45 is that our direct neighbors have an '09 Murano and a '10 FX35... Now the wife is saying it doesn't have to be an SUV after all... as long as it is a luxury vehicle with AWD... so that opens up some options

My '05 LGT

CX-7 and Murano are both good options too. The one thing about the Murano/FX35/45 is that our direct neighbors have an '09 Murano and a '10 FX35... Now the wife is saying it doesn't have to be an SUV after all... as long as it is a luxury vehicle with AWD... so that opens up some options

I am in the same boat. If we need 7 passenger, then it will probably be the CX-9.

if only 5 passenger, then the new Outback is much better (faster, cheaper, less gas, handles better), and it actually probably has better ground clearance.;)

My favorite suggestion so far! Right now I'm thinking X3 or FX45... with the RX330 still a consideration.

Range Rover? While I find these somewhat cool, I don't want one in my garage,

Coming from a womans point of view. I would go with either the RX330 or the X3. I really don't like the look of the FX45. That's just my opinion.

Also, is this going to be a gift? If not then what does your wife like?

Well my mom loves her new RX350 if that is any help. Of course the newness hasn't worn off yet, and she likes new cars. I'll give it credit for riding nicely and not being completely gutless like her ES330 was. Other than that I can make no comment, the folks live 1000 miles away or so and I see them maybe once or twice a year.

Not a gift, it's just time. Her '04 Accord needs new tires before winter and is only 5k miles away from an expensive 60k mile service.

Oooohhh... the RDX - man those look nice. How did I overlook that?? Turbos and superchargers are HUGE at altitude. Here is a nice RDX with 18k miles I might have to go look at.

She wants luxury, "status", uniqueness, and leather. And AWD.

My '05 LGT

My wife drives a Toyota Venza and loves it. We get tons of compliments and questions about it so there's some uniqueness for sure. As a brand Toyota doesn't scream luxury or status, but the Venza design is slick and the interior is very sexy / different from the typical Toyota. Very "cosmopolitan".

Definitely worth a look.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

If you are willing to go a little older (like an 06) with maybe a little more mileage (like 50,000) you could get an X5 3.0i and you and your wife would not regret it. I sold my older x5 (2003 3.0i) before buying my LGT and it was by far the best handling smoothest accelerating car I have ever driven. Find one and test drive it...

^^ She isn't willing to go older than 2007. I started talking about 2006's and she balked... as if I had said something absurd. Oh well. We are targeting 2007-2008. NOW she says it doesn't necessarily have to be an SUV. So... another leading candidate is a Lexus IS 250. Such as this 2008 with 19k miles. That opens up Mercedes 280 4matics, any Audi, and Subarus... but I don't think she'll want an Audi or Subaru and I don't want a Mercedes.

As far as the Venza. It's cool but she won't go for it. She'll see it too much as a minivan and she is hung up on the luxury labels. Fortunately I'm not but it's not for me.

Right now 1) IS 250 2) RDX. I really wanted to consider a FX45 but I don't see any decent ones for less than $25k.

My '05 LGT

Check out the Acura RL, as well, if you are looking at sedans now: 300hp + kick-ass sporty AWD system + Honda reliability in those. MDX's are super nice, too, but I'm not sure they are quite in your budget yet. Not sure about the new model TL: I think they can be had with AWD, but again, probably not in your budget yet.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Honda reliability in those. MDX's are super nice, too

Beware the Trannies on the Acura MDX. The wife just had her '06 replaced @ 66k miles (just under the 70k power train warranty:icon_eek:). This is our second MDX 02 had tranny replaced @ 45k and was starting to exhibit symptoms again @ 65k traded for 06 MDX.

My father is on his third transmission on his 04 MDX first @ 24k & second @ 36k. He does tow his behind his Motor-coach.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/58-transmission-problems/

Archived