LegacyGT.com

Cams for 18/20/HTA68

You may want to ask in the powertrain or tuning forum.

Or ask one of the Vendors. I guess you'll be doing all the other things that go along with that. Hey if you want big HP I happen to have a new S472 with a 125 hot side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Haha, not looking for monster power. Don't think the 5EAt can take it.

Targeting HTA68 or something similar in size.

The cams for more immediate response + rev out.

Thanks for the offer!

IMO you shouldn't need to go through the expense of replacing the cams. With a up/dp and the good tune, may be a bigger TMIC. You should be fine.

I just got in on the GB for a TMIC.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Not for a Subaru, I know Web cams has some great stuff for Honda's. I'm sure they make cams for most cars. To be honest, I don't think I have been to their site. My son takes care of that. He's the brains behind the high HP Honda. But that's in the past now, moving on to other things in life right now.

I would check out nasioc or even the vendors here. Support the vendors that support the forum. Hey check the Group Buy forum, I just got a nice TIMC.

^^^ yes, you're on the wrong site for learning about cams.

Cams are about as expensive a modification as you can do on these cars. You'll be hard pressed to find testimonials of cams on such a relatively small turbo range compared to what generally gets cams.

Search around for more information.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I put cams in my GTI back in the late 80's . Had a lumpy, frumpy idle along with more power. Extremely rare to even consider cams on our Subies. I saw a ricer mag at the grocery store and they were mentioning crower cams for STI"s . With power increases so easily with other mods I think its the last (and expensive) step that isn't really needed.

When the turbo and all the other mods aren't giving you enough it's time to think cams since as long as you have a turbo the cams aren't that critical anymore. The boost the turbo gives is enough to overcome shortcomings in cam timing, and if you experience problems getting enough into the cylinder just raise the boost! :)

Getting the fumes out of the engine is less of a problem.

But if you are tuning a NA engine the cams are something to consider.

In any case even change of cams on a NA engine may only have little effect if the flow in the manifold and the cylinder head can't keep up with the increased flow that the cam gives.

But I suspect that what OP is after really is better torque at lower rpm:s. I'm not sure if the cams from a NA engine are the same as for the turbo engine and if they actually offer better low RPM torque or if the lower torque on the turbo rather is related to the lower compression ratio the engine has.

So from the view of experimentation if you have the time you may try to change to NA engine cams but measure them first to see if they make a difference.

Some engines are DOHC (I don't have that straight out of the head) but it may be only the 2.0 engines that comes with DOHC heads and I'm not sure if they fits on the 2.5 block. In any case - if you have a DOHC engine you can also play with the cam timings (just make sure that valves and piston's don't get into conflict). You may need to manufacture custom cam sprockets to do that. And also rig the cam timing sensor to a different position so it won't be affected by the changed timing.

453747.png

OP needs to talk with some of the Subaru Tuners. They will be able to guide him. Like I said above, Web cams makes nice stuff, the only street Honda Civic to run a 8.50 uses them. I'm sure they can guide him to the correct grind he would need if he feels he needs to spend the money.

I have removed my mufflers, IMO the car sounds pretty good at idle.

Archived