LegacyGT.com

00 Legacy GT Limited - What to look for?

Rand

Hi all,

I currently have a 2001 Subaru Impreza L Coupe converted to a RS on the outside, and a race car in the inside. I am looking for a second car as a daily driver that is reliable and comfortable to ride in.

I found a 2000 Legacy GT Limited with black leather and 125,000 miles for $6,000 with two previous owners. (automatic trans)

However, the carfax says around 30,000 miles the Camshaft position sensor was replaced and around 13,000 the Oxygen sensor was replaced. Should I be worried about all of these sensors and what are some items I should look/listen for during the test drive? The car is four hours away from where I live so I need to be prepared. I was going to offer them $5k and maybe meet in the middle at 5.5k if the car ends up being as good as it looks. (Even tho I really care more about rust and reliability the most)

Thanks all!

PS: Pic of my Subaru to prove I'm in the Subaru family!

http://haugenphotography.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Challenge-2010/IMG5298/981842233_dJwmS-L.jpg

I've got 115k on mine, and so far I've had to replace:

Head gaskets (common problem - $$$ - had a shop do this one, took the opportunity to also replace the timing belt & water pump)

A/C Expansion Valve (moderate cost / ease)

Knock sensor (cheap and easy)

Front O2 Sensor (moderate cost / ease)

The head gaskets were rough on the checkbook, the rest not so bad...

Archived