LegacyGT.com

Has anyone only replaced the stock speakers?

Nochance

JDM hvac, a new HU, components (a laughable 2" mounting depth), an amp, dremel out the tweeter locations, add mdf spacers, sound deaden the doors. All this seems like a lot for better sound. Subaru REALLY didn't want us to upgrade easily.

Personally I think the stock sounds fine for what it is, I just wish I could play MP3's. But I'm about to say screw it and just upgrade the speakers and keep a collection of CD's in a visor case. But how do they sound with the stock HU?

Usually stock HU + aftermarket speakers = crap. Aftermarket HU + stock speakers = crap. That's why it's done together. But now if this is the scenario I'm looking at, you'd have to figure a Cleansweep, or AudioControl. I know Alpine, JBL, and RF make similar items, but they're expensive enough that it would be cheaper doing the hvac mod.

I have a huge pair of 6 1/2's in the front and back. You have plenty of room to mount almost anything you want in the back doors. Ran into problems with my front doors so i had to build up fiberglass pods to get the extra mounting depth. I suggest you get a nice set of components upfront and then put a pair of 6 1/2 inch subs in the rear doors. Use a decent 4 channel amp and you be amazed how good it will sound. Also while your in there dynomat your door panels if not the floor boards. You can get a bulk kit for just over a hundred bucks online and its enough to do your whole car.

Archived