LegacyGT.com

Replacing my engine

Hey everyone, we bought this car at an auction (first mistake) and it's been diagnosed with a spun rod bearing/failed turbo. The turbo has been replaced and now we're going to get a new shortblock from our local Subaru dealer + get the heads checked/cleaned incase there was any damage to them. I was wondering, what else should be replaced and what should it be replaced with? We were told to replace the oil pump, oil cooler and oil pickup tube among other things. Should we just replace them with OEM or is there anything better aftermarket?

OEM or STI oil pump

Moroso oil pickup tube. GB over on nasioc for $140.00

Oil cooler should be cleaned well

After market clutch and flywheel or a WRX flywheel and a Spec Clutch, I have a Spec 2+ and LWFW. DO NOT use a OEM clutch, oh I forgot to add POS OEM clutch

Don't remember which year you said it was, remove the cat from the up pipe.

There's a 99 cent resistor from radio shack that will fix the CEL for the cat being gone. Check the DIY forum, there's a sticky or a thread somewhere. It's easy.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-05-06-lgt-2-2k-5w-resistor-up-pipe-install-cel-131488.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Banjo filters on AVCS/turbo lines. Also might pull the OCV's and make sure there is no crud in those to stick things up, but those would probably get checked with the heads anyway...
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Awesome!

Thanks a lot for the responses, guys. I only have a 2005 5EAT so no clutch to replace at least. I'll post a new thread when we've finally done the transplant with before/after pictures of what i'm doing to this car. It's obvious to me that it was brutally taken care of, but it is in good hands now.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_54_56&products_id=79&osCsid=p2ugh5ovdiuv8l6jgoqv40k474

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_54_56&products_id=52&osCsid=p2ugh5ovdiuv8l6jgoqv40k474

I like the Grimmspeed up, and while your at it you can do the X-pipe. You can open your stock cast headers up a bit with a die grinder to match the gaskets. Reduces RPM to spool nicely...

I actually also noted to get the Grimmspeed Up as well. It just looks like a great pipe and nicely made. If I get JUST a replacement Uppipe to start now, would I NEED a tune or no? I'd just like to get it to be safe basically...a little smoother spool can never hurt. ;)

resistor mod will get you by just fine, but if you have a laptop get a tactrix or cheap ebay cable and OS tune for stage 1.

G/L with the swap out.

Archived