LegacyGT.com

Using the AVO Single Din

Heedz

How does the wiring harness work? If i get one form an audio store doesn't that take power away from the AC control unit also? How can i keep the climate control powered? I do not care if the stereo part works. Please help, I've been searching but I cannot find a definite solution.

Yes, you do have to keep the power wires connected to the OEM stereo -- that also powers the A/C control panel (because the radio and automatic A/C panel are really one big, combined unit).

You'll need both a "forward" and a reverse 14-pin harness. You'll wire those together along with the harness for your aftermarket stereo (making a Y-harness), wired as follows:

* Both stereos will get ground, +12V Battery, and +12V Accessory from the car

* The car's speakers and antenna remote control (from the forward harness) will only connect to the new stereo

* The speaker outputs and antenna remote control output from the OEM stereo (from the reverse harness) will be unused (cap off with heat shrink or electrical tape)

* Illumination and Dimmer will go to the OEM stereo

* Illumination will also go to the new stereo (if supported)

Also, the car's coax antenna wire will only connect to the new stereo, through a Subaru antenna adapter.

Optionally, you can connect one pair of the factory stereo's speaker outputs through a Line Output Converter (LOC) and into an Aux input on your new stereo. That will allow you to keep using the OEM 6-disc changer (and sat radio and factory aux input on newer models, if you have those).

Make sure the harnesses have all 14 pins/wires. Many of the ones out there omit the Orange/White dimmer wire at pin #7. Without that, the OEM A/C panel's illumination won't work correctly when you turn on your headlights. See my Legacy/Outback radio harness pin-out table for more information (including link to harnesses guaranteed to have all 14 wires).

Archived