LegacyGT.com

A question about periodically starting a car

Currently, I am overseas for about 5 weeks and I decide to leave my car in an underground garage. However, I gave my keys to my girlfriend. I told her to start the car once a week until I get back. Do you think that is a good idea? I read some forums they said it isn't good to start your car periodically. :confused:

The only thing that might happen is a weak battery when you get back. Although I've had cars sit for that long and they started right up.

If this situation might come up in the future, just get a battery tender if possible and keep her plugged in.

Tell her not to do anything with the car, just let it sit there. Like the others said, all she'll do is get things warm enough to have moisture condensate in the engine and exhaust. If she's not going to drive it. Don't even start it. Your's is a 09 so there should be not battery issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No. I guess you don't want her to drive it ?

You'll be home in a couple of more weeks. Check the oil, then drive it for at least 10 miles. As said highway miles would be better.

FWIW I should add here, I start my 86 F150 once a week and move it around the lawn so it won't kill the grass, I have been doing this for years. Sometimes I move it 10 ft and shut it off. Takes about 30 seconds or less. It goes to the dump once every 3-4 weeks, 7 miles on way. The truck gets less then 2000 miles a year. Get's its oil changed once a year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I left one of my cars sitting for 6 months under a tarp, without a transmission in it. Rolled it into the garage, put a trans in it, a front mount on it, new suspension, headers, and a few other bits, reconnected the battery, fired right up, drove it for a few hours, changed the oil, and drove it for another many thousand miles.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yep, at least the oil change. Cheap insurance.

Wait, you don't change your own oil...how OCD can you be ? I'm almost 56y/o and have never let anyone else change my oil. I even changed it this past Jan 4 weeks after surgery for a broken collar bone. (4 places)

Yep, at least the oil change. Cheap insurance.

Wait, you don't change your own oil...how OCD can you be ? I'm almost 56y/o and have never let anyone else change my oil. I even changed it this past Jan 4 weeks after surgery for a broken collar bone. (4 places)

Well, my car is still under warranty. If I do change the oil by myself, there might be a possibility that SOA might take it that it is my fault that caused any problems that might arises. I rather just take it to the dealer and have to do it. If the dealer screws up, SOA won't be able to blame me. :lol:

Nope, when I had my second tranny rebuild the dealer asked if I've had the service done. I pulled out my little red note pad with all the things I've done, date, mileage and what was done. They photo copied it and Subaru covered it. I didn't keep reciepts just wrote down what I did.

Just keep a record. I still have the note book from the 1992 civic that I bought new that's in my avatar.

Nope, when I had my second tranny rebuild the dealer asked if I've had the service done. I pulled out my little red note pad with all the things I've done, date, mileage and what was done. They photo copied it and Subaru covered it. I didn't keep reciepts just wrote down what I did.

Just keep a record. I still have the note book from the 1992 civic that I bought new that's in my avatar.

Really? Thats all you need?

I always thought they wanted something more official than just a piece of paper. :lol:

You don't need to periodically start the car. Add some fuel stabilizer and run it it enough to make sure it's mixed and in the engine, them park it someplace dry and hook up the battery to a maintainer of some sort. I recommend the Battery Tender (green box). I park my STI during salt season and in the spring I turn the key to ON for 10 seconds to re-pressurize the fuel system. Then it starts up like I drove it the day before.

Really? Thats all you need?

I always thought they wanted something more official than just a piece of paper. :lol:

Nope just that little $.59 note pad that will fit in a shirt pocket. Just keep a good record of what you did.

Not a big problem, but I suggest that she should take it out for a drive once per week. That way there is a lower risk of getting brakes stuck and too rusty rotors and all kinds of annoying effects like tires getting a flat section and so on.
453747.png

Fill it with gas, lock it and forget about it. I used to leave for 6 weeks every 6 weeks for a few years straight, and that's really all that needs to be done....if its more like 6 months then you need to start worrying about the battery/fuel/tires/etc. but 5 weeks is really nothing.

Archived