LegacyGT.com

Help diagnose minor engine noise??

Car is a 06 legacy 2.5i 4EAT with 61,XXX miles. Just bought the car less than 1K ago and the 60k maintenance was done by previous owner (mechanic friend) right before I bought it from him. When I start the car after sitting over night, I hear this "clicking" or "tapping" noise coming from the engine bay while I am idling and letting the car warm up a bit. When I accelerate the noise is not present and after the cars oil temp is in the middle it disappears all together.

I have searched and I havent seen anyone with my exact situation. This is my first subaru and from what I have read they arent the quietest cars but I just wanted to be sure. I have just been recently taking special notice of this (day 2 in a row this morning) and havent popped the hood and checked to see if anything is loose yet. Today after work I will investigate under the hood. Thanks!

the 2.5 will develop numerous little noises as it ages, and wears in.

This sounds like the precise thing my 07 does... as the exhaust heats up, it will tick while its sitting, and after you shut it off for a while. dealer stated that there was a bulletin on it, and its common, and fine. but again, thats almost the polar opposite of your problem.

what weight oil is in it? and is it full? sounds like just a lifter or something? maybe?. it's probably not a problem unless it gets worse or starts doing it all the time. Try an GM LS-1 V-8. it sounds like a diesel until it's at full operating temperature and the oil is at juuust the right level.

I only bought the car less than 1K ago and the oil was changed shortly before me purchasing it from the previous owner (my mechanic friend) so I don't know the weight of the oil currently in there. I hope it is full but I will check the oil level when I get off work and get home. I would agree it reminds me of the sound a diesel engine makes LOL. Thanks for the quick replies!

It is a slow day at work but unfortunately the boss's window to his office is right where my car is parked LOL. The more I research the piston slap issue the less I am worried. I guess as long as it goes away once the engine is warmed up I am ok (and it does).

What oil do people who are experiencing piston slap suggest using for summer and winter seasons?

5w-40 synthetic seems to help, my '09 does the same thing sometimes. The heavier the oil the less it happens. I put 5w-30 pennzoil in my last oil change and I noticed its a lot louder than what it was previous (dealer oil).

Archived