LegacyGT.com

Tuning '94 EJ22 and coil info

rcascoob

Are there any chip swaps / other misc upgrades for my '94 EJ22 non-turbo RHD?

Right now I'm just doing std. maint. bc my engine has 116K as it sits (orig. engine replaced at 110K - 237K on the odo now)

Not really interested in a cold air intake due to placement/closeness to engine and the older MAF issues too, but any other ideas would be sweet!

Thinking about a lighter crank pulley next and maybe going after the exhaust - catbacks anyone?

Would want to spend no more than ~$300 (maybe, depending on my options :)

*Ignore the jpg

Clipboard01.jpg.0910d1782bcf0f5772181c9932f7bcca.jpg

Tuning an OBDI car is near impossible. Wiring a new ECU to the same old engine is asking for boatloads of trouble. Those Ebay performance-adding chips are a risky scam designed to trick the car into running dangerously lean. Avoid at all costs.

I'd say do the MSD ignition swap, get the lightweight crank pulley, drop a &N panel filter into the stock air box, take the car to a muffler shop and have them weld up a nice catback (Maybe even a high flow cat?) and drive the car till the wheels fall off. At 116K miles that engine isn't even broken in yet. She's probably got another 200K miles ahead of her.

The MSD swap is a good inexpensive idea. Get an MSD coil from a Dodge Neon or an Eagle Talon (The one with FLAT TERMINALS), find a Neon or Talon in a junkyard, steal the coil plug, wire the junkyard plug into the Subaru harness (3 wires), make a mounting bracket out of steel, plastic, or aluminum, mount the MSD coil, cut the spark plug wires and get 4 MSD ignition wire ends, wire them up and you're done. Hotter spark, more complete combustion, better economy, throttle response and power. If you have all the parts handy it will probably take an hour or two depending on how long it takes to make the bracket and it will cost about the same as a factory replacement coil ($100-130).

Archived