LegacyGT.com

Is this normal for stage 2?

Timex

It's been about 2 weeks since I installed my Cobb downpipe mated to my Greddy Evo exhaust. I noticed immediately that there is a throatier grumble at idle and that when I gas it, there's a faint whistling sound? Is this normal? I also noticed that there's sometimes a bit of a rattling sound, especially when i'm accelerating uphill. It's not a loud rattle, but I do notice it.

Other than that, I'm slightly disappointed after flashing to stage 2. I was hoping to notice a larger gain in power. I'm using the ots Cobb stage 2 91 octane map. Does it matter which mode I keep it in (I, S, or S#)? I normally keep in in S mode.

Thanks for looking at my noob questions.

The grumble and whistle you hear is normal with the dp, as for the ots tune, I went with the pdx e-tune, I was pretty happy with it but I hear Infamous does a great tune too.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

The "whistle" is the wastegate exhaust. You didnt hear it before because it was blocked off and forced to exit the same hole the turbo exhaust was going through. With a DP and exhaust, you will definitely notice more grumble/rumble at idle and WOT. Thats the beauty of the boxer engine and Unequal length headers.

For the rattle, might want to check your exhaust isnt hitting anything. Could be due to bumps or torque twisting the exhaust slightly.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

timex..what year LGT do u have? it might b the uppipe heatshield rattling? i had to weld my STI up Pipe shield tight b4 i swapped out the catted stockker. and also get a protune man...its more accurate and taylor made for your location and driving. OTS garbage is generic tuning where as a dyno or street tune will get u more performance etc while still retaining safe paramaters detrmining on who tunes your car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Didn't want to start a new thread on something that might be covered. I did a search and I think I might have a boost leak perhaps? Been noticing that the whistling noise when I accelerate is getting louder. I notice it whenever I hit 3000 rpm or higher, especially with the windows down. Sounds like air coming out of a tire at a high rate. Sometimes it's a whoosh whoosh whooshing sound. Any ideas if this is a boost leak? If it is, what should I be doing?

Thanks.

If you have a small air compressor, you can find a quart paint can, you can use that when you remove the air intake hose off the air filter box, use the can to plug the hose. Then pull the vacuum hose off the blow off valve and use the compressor to put a "little pressure"

into the system. Don't put to much in. Just a quick small shot of air, then listen for leaks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can not mistake a boost leak for the normal turbo noise. Its a really high pitch whistle. I had a small leak from my TMIC/Turbo and it was loud. So I would think its an exhaust leak not a boost one.

Just cause a mechanic put it on does not mean its perfect.

Irimis: You could be right. I did some searching on boost leaks on youtube (hey I'm new to turbos) and it doesn't sound anything as high pitched as what's posted there. It's more of an air leakage sound...almost like a sprinkler without the shots.

I'll get it looked at as soon as I can.

i had a high pitched screeching and it turned out that my throttle body to TMIC hose clamp was not tightened all the way down thanks to a certain subaru POS delaership around my place...sounded like a dying eagle. check that just in case.

Archived