LegacyGT.com

fule pump problems

Is the ethanol in gas causing problems?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is the ethanol in gas causing problems?

• yes
    • no

I have a 93 Legacy that have for about 10 years the only major problems have been that in 01 the alternator went out and took the battery with it. Then it did it again in 05 and I replace just the alternator this year. The OEM fule pump went out in 08 then I had it replaced again this spring. And now it appears that it is not pumping again. Now reading some of the great posts I think I will replace the fule filter and then check and make sure the pump is bad. I really believe it is the ethanol in the gas we get now. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Has any body seen the spell check icon?

Ethanol shouldn't be the culprit. You could put the fuel pump in water and it should work just fine.

I'd be more inclined to associate the lack of longevity from the new pumps with the quality of components used. I'm not saying you're buying junk parts, its just that Subaru would have used better components from better suppliers to build their motors. This car is so old that any parts you're going to find in stores are probably either rebuilt parts that have already endured one lifetime of punishment before being restored, or cheap OEM knock offs.

If I were you, I'd look for the best quality pump you can. Fuel pump motor parts like brushes, bearings, and even the commutator on the armature can cause premature failure if they're not made well enough.

No problem. Hopefully you can sort this issue out. Sometimes slamming the door or the hood is enough to get the pump off of its dead spot. Its the same principal with a bad starter motor. Not sure if you've ever had to hit a starter motor with a hammer to get it to spin, but sometimes the armature will stop in a dead spot (Or Weak Spot) in the magnetic field. This causes the motor to not spin when power is applied. Sometimes, a hard enough hit with a hammer, a big enough vibration, or just plain ol' blunt force trauma is enough to move the armature away from the dead spot enough for the motor to start spinning. Once spinning its inertia will keep pushing the armature past the dead spot, keeping the motor functional until the next time it happens to stop in that same spot. Most remanufacting plants will check the strength of the magnetic field produced by the motors magnets. It is possible to zap a magnet back to good health. Some companies will zap magnets, some will not. Magnets and the fields they create deteriorate over time. In a motor, if they are used continuously for a long time they will eventually fail. If a remanufactured pump has been rebuilt without having its magnets zapped, its essentially a ticking time bomb.

You might want to try closing the door or hood a bit harder than you normally would and see if that helps. It worked on a bad pump in an old Sentra I had before I replaced the pump.

BTW, sorry for the long post. I tend to get excited and when I get excited I tend to "over-post." :lol:

Another previous Cummins owner huh? I had a 1990 Dodge Ram W350 with the 12V Cummins. The W in the title meant it was 4WD, but what made mine special was the "LE" badge and the 5 speed stick shift. That thing was a riot, and a total joy to drive. I also had starter issues with that car. I bought new brushes and did a quickie commutator scuff to the starter which worked for a while, but in the end I wound up buying a new starter. If I had a penny for every time I had to find random people in parking lots to give me a push start I'd probably have enough money to buy another one. I miss that thing.

The fastest I ever had it moving was 72 MPH with the skinny pedal to the floor, but that thing would do brakestands in third gear from a dead stop. Its that kind of torque that gives you respect for the potential energy contained in diesel fuel. I remember doing donuts in the Wal-Mart parking lot after they closed to a cheering crowd of Wal-Mart employees, and that was with oversize BF Goodrich A/T tires, turbo screaming the whole time. Man, what I would give to be younger and reckless again. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Archived