LegacyGT.com

I've been doing some research on valve adjustment because recently my car has started making some weird noises under acceleration, a sound much like poker chips being dropped, or coins dangling. Its not constant, but only happens under acceleration.

Can we do valve adjustments on our 2.5i motors? I have read a few sources saying the valves are self adjusting.

bad noises under load is probably pistons .. very common thing for subies being very noisy .. valve stuff will make noise at specific rpms regarless of the engine load.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

hopefully it's just some valve chatter, if so, try the rotella t6 5w40, it's for diesel application but GEE-OTTO has been using it without issues and oil analysis results for subaru engines on BITOG are very favorable.

i'm looking to switch into it as well

Yup my 08 had excessive chatter in the winter and high heat when I used 5w-30 (really bad in the winter) so I switched to 5w-40 t6 rotella and haven't heard a peep in 40k miles :-) even under load at high RPM costs $19.00 for a jug at walmart and I use Purolator yellow filters now

any advantage for these? or just less expensive than oem?

i've just been using oem so far.

They filter really well and it is a better match with the synth oil. the Pure ONE filter I use is the same as the LGT guys PL14612 I get mine at Autozone, b/c Wal-mart never has them in stock oddly enough, for about $8.

thanks for the tip, i rarely think of amazon when it comes to automotive bits.

Me either but they have a bunch of stuff people forget that Amazon is a retailer at its core instead of shelves of goods they virtually stock items that the supplier holds in stock great idea so you can find almost anything. I bought some 1000 mg Gortex hunting boots for $40 off the price at Dick's last season

problem for canadians with amazon, is many of the other stuff doesnt ship to canada.

If youre close to the border, or know people there, you could get it shipped to a UPS store, and pick it up/ get someone who lives there to ship to canada.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Yeah, I never noticed the ping until I switched to Supertech 5w30 synthetic a few weeks back. Oil seemed pretty thin when I wet my finger. Going to try the 5w 40 and see if that helps. I ran a few tanks of premium grade gas and it helped a little but still hearing the 'jingle' at the very beginning of acceleration. Drives me crazy :spin:

Yeah, I never noticed the ping until I switched to Supertech 5w30 synthetic a few weeks back. Oil seemed pretty thin when I wet my finger. Going to try the 5w 40 and see if that helps. I ran a few tanks of premium grade gas and it helped a little but still hearing the 'jingle' at the very beginning of acceleration. Drives me crazy :spin:

Same here valve adjustment is routine but the chatter is constat. Heavier oil isnt the route I would go, that just covers up the perceived problem. I noticed that 93 OCT reduces chatter the most out of the various oils ive ran.

Well, I was going to try a thicker oil based on what you (GEE) stated earlier in this thread. No?? Sounded like it did the trick for you. BTW - My rig has only 35K on it. Shouldn't need any valve adjustment yet, should it??

And if it did need adjustment, I feel it would be the fault of that stupid 4EAT always dropping into 4th gear at 27mph. Trying to pull the car around at such low RPM seems like it is putting undo stress on the valve train. I can just feel it :lol:

Hey GEE. How is that NTD Throttle controller? Reading the million plus posts about it now and it seems legit. Is this something that might help with my 4EAT problems discussed above - you know, retarded shift schedule??

LOVE IT :)

There is an amount of chatter that you have to live with, with a H4. I've had some amount of chatter since mile 2 all the way to mile 117K currently.

Archived