LegacyGT.com

Noisy Rear Koni Shocks

KyLegacy 2.5GT

Is anybody else having problems with their rear Koni skocks "squeaking" a lot while driving? It sounds like a real dry polyurethane bushing. I thought it was my sway bar, so I re-greased those bushings and I am getting the same sound. It started the very first drive after I put in the Koni's... I just thought the extra stiff rear was making the RSB bushing squeak more but its not them.

Did anybody grease the bushing that is in the bottom of the rear Koni shock? I thought it was rubber so I didn't grease it... Could this be a possibility for all of the noise?

I am running the Rallitek springs. I had them on the stock shocks before switching over to the Koni's and had no problems at all. I will try and get under the car and see if one of my friends can push on the bumper to see if I can find the squeaking.

There are only so many parts that it can be, it just started happening right after the Koni install so I figured it was them.

What about that rubber spacer on top of the rear spring?? hmmmm....

It's the combination of Koni and Rallitek. I have the same setup.

Double check that your noise is the same, here's how. Get two jacks. One has to be a decent sized floor jack. Jack the rear of the car up and remove one wheel. It was my passenger (rear) that was causing the most noise. CAREFULLY place the large floor jack under the lower suspension arm and jack it up to meet the arm. Now SLOWLY lower the jack supporting the car until all of the corner weight is on the jack under the suspension arm. While you look at and prod the suspension have a buddy carefully, but liberally bounce the rear of the car from inside the trunk. DO NOT have your legs under the car or your head up inside the fender well. You should be able to calm the noise by placing your hand around the top of the spring. What your are doing is effectively damping a harmonic vibration. If the noise goes away or significantly diminishes when you apply pressure at the top of the spring (at the dead coils) then you can use a thick grease between the dead coils at the top of the spring. I used a thick heavy duty marine grease. I plan on it lasting quite a long time. It hasn't made a peep in weeks.

It's the combination of Koni and Rallitek. I have the same setup.

Double check that your noise is the same, here's how. Get two jacks. One has to be a decent sized floor jack. Jack the rear of the car up and remove one wheel. It was my passenger (rear) that was causing the most noise. CAREFULLY place the large floor jack under the lower suspension arm and jack it up to meet the arm. Now SLOWLY lower the jack supporting the car until all of the corner weight is on the jack under the suspension arm. While you look at and prod the suspension have a buddy carefully, but liberally bounce the rear of the car from inside the trunk. DO NOT have your legs under the car or your head up inside the fender well. You should be able to calm the noise by placing your hand around the top of the spring. What your are doing is effectively damping a harmonic vibration. If the noise goes away or significantly diminishes when you apply pressure at the top of the spring (at the dead coils) then you can use a thick grease between the dead coils at the top of the spring. I used a thick heavy duty marine grease. I plan on it lasting quite a long time. It hasn't made a peep in weeks.

Wow! I will definitely check into this over the weekend!!

Archived