LegacyGT.com

pretty bad shaking when braking - ITS NOT THE BRAKES

stanghater

Ive been dealing with this issue for about a year now. When braking, especially at high speeds there is a pretty bad shaking in the steering wheel. Initially i replaced the rotors and pads... still there. Then we wanted new rims and tires anyway, so I go them.... still there. THen i had some brembos that i had meaning to install on the LGT so i did with new rotors and pads..... still there. One thing i did notice is now with the brembos, when i lightly brake the shaking is there but the harder i press the brakes it stops. SO in my mind, no matter what anyone says ITS NOT THE BRAKES.

I did a quick once over of the sway bar bushings and stuff, i didnt see any broken/torn ones. Could this be a bad strut/tophat?

OK I won't ask if you re-bedded the brakes, because apparently the shaking still happen the "first time" you stopped with the new brakes.

I would doubt it's top hat's, you would hear more clunking if it was IMO.

I would think may be bushings in the LCA.

Are the tires old?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm thinking you would hear a wheel bearing going bad, this problem has seemed to been around for a while for reading the post.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm thinking you would hear a wheel bearing going bad, this problem has seemed to been around for a while for reading the post.

Dunno, just throwing an idea out there. There's only so many things that it could be-

Brakes (seem to have ruled those out through changes of pads and rotors)

Tires / Rims (seems to have changed those too)

I'd guess that it's likely something connected to the wheels, so that leaves the bushings as mentioned (plus steering rack) and the bearings. Maybe something with the wheel hub...

ill check out all the bushings there more thoroughly this weekend. I am at the point now where i would pay anyone any amount of money to fix it. ARGH!

I have the same issue, have checked the brakes, changed the LCA bushings, struts are new, wheels are new, tires are new and balanced, new tierod ends and balljoints. I really don't want to change the wheel bearings, $$, and still have the issue. When in the air there is not play in the mounted wheel, and no noise, squeal, when driving. I feel your pain brother.:confused:

• 4 weeks later...
Upon independant check mine is a set of warped front rotors, not sure how it happened but I have an idea (crazy tire shop over torque of the lugs) so I need to either have them turned or get new ones. Thanks to the guys at COBB plano for running this, and a few other issues, down.

My 06 LGT wagon developed this over a driving/camping/hiking holiday from Calgary to Washington state. It may have something to do with some of the rough gravel backroad driving. Only get the shake on hard braking from highway speed, especially noticable on steep downhills. will be looking at it later today.

• Mega Users
9 times out of 10 this problem is due to tears in the LCA bushings. Happened to me around 60,000. It got so bad that the entire front end started vibrating at all speeds while I was driving it to the shop to get them replaced. I just had them replaced with oem parts. I hadn't done any suspension mods at that point so the next time they need replacing I'll probably go with aftermarket parts

• 2 weeks later...

Archived