LegacyGT.com

Garmin nuvi 255w installed in cubby for $3

tjbev21

Heres pics from my install what i did was take off the door assembly of the cubby then was going to mount it in there flush mount and make a bezel out of plastic to make it look more oem. when i was checking everything out i figured this way looks just as good, still pretty stealth (no big suction cup on the windshield) plus being super easy and inexpensive i said why not

so i used 2 L brackets from the home bump and had some ipass velcro and i think it looks great. I like the removable idea as well just in case i am parked in a bad spot or somthing of that nature. i also used come extra plastic laying around so i made a divider on the right side of the gps so i can still store things there...

dont know how long the velcro will hold but i did a couple WOT 1,2,3rd gear pulls plus one 4k launch (no clutch bump aka the right way :lol:) and its holding like a champ..

while i was at it i took my radio apart and the shifer gate off and give them a couple matte black coats :)

grazi

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/100_0890.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/100_0887.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/100_0888.jpg

Thanks guys I will get more pics of the install tomarrow but they just don't do any justice it looks pure oem in person.

And I am waiting on the garmin hardwire cable to hardwire it because the nuvis run on 5volts so the special hardwire cable has a voltage reducer so you don't fry it with 12v

Nice. I did kind of the same thing. I removed the cubby door, hid the wire, and sort of crammed it in there. I'm going to get a stereo shop to fab up a plastic piece to put in there, so it will look cleaner. The velcro thing is a great idea!

Oh and a hardwire kit isn't absolutely necessary, you can run the garmin cable back to the center console plug with a little bit of work.

I thought of that too but my 12v in the center consol is used by my iPhone charger and I use the front cig lighter more often then not,

I bought the gps mount from a vendor here the one with the plexi glass bottom

so since I don't need that anymore check for that in the classifieds If he doesn't return it

I like this idea. If you could flush mount it with a faceplate or something it would be even better.

I have the same GPS unit using a cubby mount I made. The only thing holding me back from doing something like this is the fear of theft.

By hardwire, I meant did you run the car charger that came with the unit down the back of the cubby area? Or are you charging it up first and then mounting it in the cubby area, taking it out to charge it? I want to keep the clean look without the charging wire running across the face of the radio from the cigarette outlet

hm not sure about the door but it might be possible the gps wont even fit with the door on so its un likley

and no by hardwiring i mean this wire http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/gusb-5v-b-garnuvi3.htm

that will hook up to the gps then i will cut a hole in the back of the cubby, then run the wire to my fuse box. then use a add a circuit

Word of caution on that type of hardwire which may or may not be a concern but you should verify before purchasing: a lot of the units like that will put our GPS into data mode, meaning that it will charge the unit but you will not be able to use it as a functioning GPS. Other units I researched had that as a common problem for the 255W, didn't affect TomToms or a few other Garmin models but definitely the 255. Check into it first

Ok so that cable is garbage,

What I think might work is buying a female cig lighter adapted with a reg power and ground then using a add a circuit to hook it up for the 12v then ground it

After all that just use the supplied garmin cig cable plug it up and then just hide it behind the dash And then run it up to the cubby

Lol I'm on th road a lot so I always had the days were I would leave home with like 3 cigs in my pack and be screwed so now the whole carton rides with me lol

Menthol lights actually :) lol

I do have pics of the brackets and divider on the iPhone though so I'll get those posted either after work or tomarrow in the am

To give it a more OEM look, and to make it stop screaming "I'm a GARMIN!" get that speaker mesh material, and wrap it around the bezel of the GPS. That way, it'll look like a speaker surrounding the GPS, and also it doesn't give it the look of the GARMIN. From a thief's point of view, if it's not a quick grab, it's not interesting. If it doesn't look like a GARMIN in there, you have a better chance against the quick smash and grab.

Yea, make a frame (out of plastic, or Popsicle sticks even) and then wrap the speaker mesh material around it. Then put the frame over the gps, so that only the screen is visible (but not the bezel. If you do it right, it should look like a screen with speakers on either side. This way you can even cover the rest of the cubby if you like (but I'd center the GPS if doing that). Otherwise, I think you've got a great idea for using the spare spot for storage.

Another option would be to detach your door from the flip portion, leaving just the door trim. Place magnets on the inside of the door trim, and place magnets on the inside of the cubby to match. Then when you leave the car, just pop the door ontop and the magnets will hold it in place. It'll look completely stock, and it's simple enough to add on or remove.

BTW - I've done both methods to hide my Garmin. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos when I did it. Since then, I've removed the information panel, and put the door back on. With the info panel out of the way, the Garmin has enough room to sit in the cubby with the door attached. When I leave the car, I just close the cubby door like usual, and voila!

I dunno I still need some time to brianstorm ideas on what to do.

as for the crime i dont live in DT chi. im in a suburb about 30 min south. and on august 26th i will be moving to Hilton Head Island,SC as far as i know crime isnt a big issue out there, so well see.

ok so i went to radio shack and bought the female cig outlet w/ barewires on the end (comes with a inline fuse) so i used the add a circuit then grounded stuffed the female plug in the dash with the supplied garmin car charger plugged in. then ran that to the cubby... works flawlessly gps turns on when the car starts and turns off when the car is off, i love it

heres some pics of the L brackets and the divider

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/cubby2.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/cubby.jpg

Archived