LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i Manual Transmission problem

Last week I brought my car to the dealership to get an oil change (i had a coupon for $22, cheaper than doing it myself). So as i dropped it off I asked them to look at a noise for me.

This noise sounded like a loose heat shield that was rattling, except it only happened while i was in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear while not stepping on the gas. Generally if i was decelerating while in those gears (not in neutral) and between ~2200 and 3000 rpm.

I got the car back and they said that it sounds like a bearing in the tranny. I dropped the car off on monday, they found that the central tailshaft bearing needed to be replaced. After waiting a day for the part to come in, replacing the part and then test driving it once more, they determined there was a new noise coming from the vehicle.

Yesterday evening / this morning they disassembled my entire transmission (or so they say) and have inspected it. They're not entirely sure what was causing the problem, but at this point are thinking they need to replace the whole thing if they can't figure it out. What do you think?

And i'm still without a loaner car...

Why didn't you demand a loaner?

If you have a Subaru Gold Plus warranty, that will supply a loaner if the dealer wont. A guaranteed loaned was part of the reason that I got my car where I did.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

well the plus warranty was like.... an extra 2 grand. Plus it wouldn't matter about the loaner car, because i won't be able to get one from anyone. They tried to get me a loaner but I'm 19, basically no legit car rental places will give you a car that young.

I was given a loaner vehicle from a car dealership when I was 17 or 18 when my old car was in for warranty repairs awhile back. It was one of the used cars on the lot, so there was no rental agency. Push for SOMETHING, don't settle for NO loaner.

I had a similar issue with a bearing in the output of the transmission. Took about a week for them to hunt it down and do the cats + ecu fix. I tod a legacy rental from my friends retired parents :D. Good luck, let us know what the problem was.

Computer glitch in the ecu caused the cats to melt down and stop working. It usually was just an ecu update, but the recall notice stated the cats and o2 sensors would be covered if needed. I didn't tell the dealer I drove with the CEL for 2 years. Wanted to make sure I got a free exhaust out of it :).

Computer glitch in the ecu caused the cats to melt down and stop working. It usually was just an ecu update, but the recall notice stated the cats and o2 sensors would be covered if needed. I didn't tell the dealer I drove with the CEL for 2 years. Wanted to make sure I got a free exhaust out of it :).

Win!

But yea, that doesn't sound like my problem hahaha nice strategic planning though

It was a non related issue to my trans noise. Just had it done since my car would be MIA for a week, otherwise I would have had it done at the end of the recall. Though my madness worked, I def would advise against driving around until parts of your trans shoot through the floor boards to try and get a new one from Subaru.

No just wondering. I went to steve lewis subaru when I lived in western mass so I wasnt sure if you brought it there or haddad.

I actually bought it from patrick subaru in central mass. Although I live in Pittsfield, so i get it serviced at Haddad

• 3 weeks later...
I still haven't gotten my car back! They had to have the production company in japan make a 2008 and get it expedited over to this side of the world. I still won't see it for another 3 weeks :( They basically gave up trying to figure out what was wrong after rebuilding the tranny, and just ordered a whole new one.

Dang, I believe my '09 has the same sound or a very similar one. It started at about 15-20k miles, now it's got 42k, same noise as before, no other issues of any sort. I figured I'd worry with it if the noise changed/got worse or anything but it never has. I guess we'll see what happens :-/

Archived