LegacyGT.com

My car just cracked 60,000mi yesterday and I'm looking at the warranty and maintenance booklet.

With previous cars, I needed to replace timing belt, water pump, etc on a 60K tune up, correct me if I'm wrong but this is what the booklet states (I omitted stuff I know I dont need / already did):

Inspect, correct or replace if needed:

Drive belt(s)

Camshaft drive belt

Transmission/Diff (F+R) gear oil

Steering and Suspension

Replace / Perform:

Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system

Fuel Filter

Spark Plugs

Brake Fluid

Inspect Brake Lines

Inspect / Reccomended service:

F+R Wheel Bearing Lubricant

Fuel System

Anything to add / omit. Any ideas on a rough price for a 60K from Subaru?

Timing belt isnt until 105k

I'm at 60,998 miles... i bought the car last week at 60,126... completely forgot about the 60k tune up b4 I bought it... so I just bought a car that I have to put some money into haha...

At least my brother is a mechanic and I get free labor (well...almost free...case of beer)

Timing belt isnt until 105k

I'm at 60,998 miles... i bought the car last week at 60,126... completely forgot about the 60k tune up b4 I bought it... so I just bought a car that I have to put some money into haha...

At least my brother is a mechanic and I get free labor (well...almost free...case of beer)

Thanks for the heads up on the timing belt. Didn't see that in the book until you mentioned it!

• I Donated

I need to do the 90k service, which is like the 60k, except without the spark plugs. I did the same thing as Black_Rain -- bought the car at 88,700 and didn't think about the 90,000 mi service. Oh well.

Here's my parts list, which I would like some comments on:

• Supertech 5w40 synthetic with Supertech filter (this will be a 3000 mi change interval from here on out)
  • Subaru Long-Life Coolant with conditioner from Fred Beans (drain/fill, not flush)
  • Any old fuel filter and air filter from Autozone, unless people say otherwise
  • Should I put in a new set of NGK Iridiums? I've heard some people say it's cheap insurance, but they're kind of a pain to replace. I would buy from sparkplugs.com if people think it's a good idea.
  • What brake fluid? Motul? Or will any old DOT4 work?
  • Subaru Extra-S gear oil for trans and diffs. Where can I get this? Fred Beans doesn't seem to sell it anymore. Also, do the trans and front diff share their oil? And the capacities are 3 qts front, 1 qt rear, right?
  • Should I definitely take off the timing cover to inspect the belt, or just wait until 105k? The dealer replaced the accessory drive belts because they needed to be for the car to pass MD inspection, so is that a red flag? I wish this car used a timing chain...
  • What do I need to do to inspect the wheel bearings? Also, should I look for anything special on the steering and suspension, or just torn boots, leaks, and the bounce test for the shocks/struts? Same with fuel system checks -- should I just look at the condition of the hoses?

Thanks for any help!

What i did is i went down the checklist, anything i could do myself i did. Anything that i didnt have the time/proper tools for i gave to the dealer. My 60k Service ended up being about $300 bucks when all said and done.

I just did the 60k service on my car. I did it myself. I bought the 60k service kit from Fred Beans which was reasonably priced. I did the air filter, spark plugs, coolant, tranny fluid, diff fluid, and brake fluid.

If I were to toss out a guess at what a dealer charges, I'd say $400-600 depending on the dealership.

• I Donated
I can't find the 60k service kit on Fred Beans's site at this point. Help? Also, any thoughts on the problems finding Extra-S? Also, any thoughts on my last two bullet points? And should I replace the spark plugs at 90k despite the fact that it's not called for in the maintenance schedule?

As far as I can tell this is what I'm gonnna do:

1. Replace spark plugs with a set of 4 NGK SILF6RA

2. Replace Fuel Filter with one from auto parts store.

3. Subaru long life coolant and coolant conditioner (replace not flush)

4. Visually inspect brake lines, fuel lines, belts

Things I'm not sure about:

1. Should I bother replacing the brake fluid? If so what brand? How much fluid?

2. What gear oil for the Trans / Rear dif. Where to get it? Definitive answer on capacities / how much to buy?

3. F+R Wheel Bearing Lubricant. What is done here? What do I need to buy?

4. What to inspect on steering and suspension?

Here is where to find Extra S gear oil. This Subaru dealership in LA has it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946774

I had no shifting problems until the transmission gear oil was changed. Then I started having a grind from 3rd to 4th gear under boost. Several others reported the same problem on the WRX page. Changing back to Extra S solved the problem.

Gas filter: It is in the gas tank. I was told by the mechanic that the filter and pump were connected and it was not a part to replace. Subaru sold the filter and pump together.

Here is where to find Extra S gear oil. This Subaru dealership in LA has it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946774

I had no shifting problems until the transmission gear oil was changed. Then I started having a grind from 3rd to 4th gear under boost. Several others reported the same problem on the WRX page. Changing back to Extra S solved the problem.

Gas filter: It is in the gas tank. I was told by the mechanic that the filter and pump were connected and it was not a part to replace. Subaru sold the filter and pump together.

The fuel filter is in the gas tank? sounds strange. Usually they are under the car.

I would do all the fluids. Plugs are needed at 60,000 although mine looked fine when replaced at this interval. I would replace the drive belts. The timing belt can wait. The fuel filter is not servicable; it gets replaced if/when the fuel pump fails.

As far as I can tell this is what I'm gonnna do:

2. Replace Fuel Filter with one from auto parts store.

3. Subaru long life coolant and coolant conditioner (replace not flush)

4. Visually inspect brake lines, fuel lines, belts

Things I'm not sure about:

1. Should I bother replacing the brake fluid? If so what brand? How much fluid?

2. What gear oil for the Trans / Rear dif. Where to get it? Definitive answer on capacities / how much to buy?

3. F+R Wheel Bearing Lubricant. What is done here? What do I need to buy?

4. What to inspect on steering and suspension?

Ok so here is the updated list... any objections?

2. Subaru long life coolant and coolant conditioner (replace not flush)

3. Visually inspect brake lines, fuel lines, belts

4. Replace the gear oil with Extra-S (5 qts)

5. Inspect on steering and suspension? (whatever that means)

Things I am not going to do:

1. Replacing the brake fluid.

Still not sure of:

1. Do I also need Subaru LSD Differential Gear Oil

2. F+R Wheel Bearing Lubricant. What is done here? What do I need to buy?

• I Donated
Here you go....

That really doesn't help at all. We are asking specific questions which are not answered by the official Subaru maintenance schedules. Examples: which fluids to use for the diff, brakes, etc.? Should we replace spark plugs at 30k, 90k, etc. even though Subaru says you don't need to (this question has already been answered once but I would appreciate extra opinions)? What kinds of inspections are required for things like the wheel bearings, timing belt, steering/suspension, etc.? We wouldn't be asking these kinds of questions if we hadn't already read the maintenance schedule that's exactly what you just posted, anyway.

Can anyone answer our questions?

That really doesn't help at all. We are asking specific questions which are not answered by the official Subaru maintenance schedules. Examples: which fluids to use for the diff, brakes, etc.? Should we replace spark plugs at 30k, 90k, etc. even though Subaru says you don't need to (this question has already been answered once but I would appreciate extra opinions)? What kinds of inspections are required for things like the wheel bearings, timing belt, steering/suspension, etc.? We wouldn't be asking these kinds of questions if we hadn't already read the maintenance schedule that's exactly what you just posted, anyway.

Can anyone answer our questions?

Easy tiger....The point I'm making is that it is a car like any other and you should just follow the maintenance schedule that Subaru provides. If it will help you sleep at night feel free to perform any extra maintenance you want. Why don't you try searching for this information first before you post questions that have been asked since this forum was created. People that have owned GT's (and that know a lot more about cars then you do) since 2005 have answered all of your questions in previous posts. If you took the time to search for this information you would find it. Have a nice day!

Easy tiger....The point I'm making is that it is a car like any other and you should just follow the maintenance schedule that Subaru provides. If it will help you sleep at night feel free to perform any extra maintenance you want. Why don't you try searching for this information first before you post questions that have been asked since this forum was created. People that have owned GT's (and that know a lot more about cars then you do) since 2005 have answered all of your questions in previous posts. If you took the time to search for this information you would find it. Have a nice day!

Yea because the maintenance schedule says what gear oil to use and it also says what to lube the wheel bearings with and how to do it right? :rolleyes:

Also these threads about 60K tune up seem to be running rampant:

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7917795

So sorry to inconvenience you by making you post in my thread and having to lecture on how to use the "search" feature. Maybe next time you should try the search to make sure results come up before you reccomend it.

Now if anyone has anything of any value to input and possibly answer our questions it would be greatly appreciated.

My dealer wanted over $700 for the 60K service! Did most of it myself.

Your question about limited slip depends on which vehicle and which tranny you have, read your manual in reference to your specific model. My 06LGT came with 2 different rear diff options and I had to make sure I had the right fluids for my specific model.

Good luck taking care of your baby!

• I Donated

1. Sometimes searching doesn't make sense. Could I spend 1.5 hours searching through a bunch of threads to find all the answers? Yeah. But it makes more sense in this situation to spend 2 minutes asking a question and have someone else spend two minutes typing the answer. Sometimes search is great, and I use it all the time and have found a lot of great information through it, but sometimes the signal-to-noise ratio is way too low.

Also, isn't there some kind of unwritten forum rule that says you have to have at least 500 posts to be allowed to be a search nazi? :p

2. As noted, the Subaru maintenance schedule does not contain types of fluids to use and how to do the inspections they suggest. "Inspect wheel bearings" means absolutely nothing to me, because there are a million different ways to do so, some of which give very little information about their condition but are very easy to do, and some of which give a ton of information about their condition but would take hours. And if I went by "Inspect gear oil," I doubt I would replace it, but the consensus on here is to replace it with Extra-S, and only Extra-S, every 30k. Same with spark plugs -- a lot of people say to replace every 30k, despite the maintenance schedule.

It's not a question of what makes me comfortable, it's about what is best for the car. If a lot of people experience misfires on the plugs during the 30k-60k mi period, I want to know that and I would replace the spark plugs at 30k. If most people don't have that issue, I would leave the spark plugs in, because honestly I don't want to expend extra money and effort if I don't need to.

First I have to say that I should have eaten my breakfast this morning before I posted. I also recognize I never post anything on this site and my 10th post should not have been telling a senior member to search. That being said I feel like I have seen this exact thread a bunch of times. I am also reacting to this thread b/c when I first got my car I read all these threads and I got all worked up thinking my car is a time bomb. All I really am trying to say is a car is a car. Some have problems and some don't. In the end I love my Legacy GT and there isn't a day that goes by that it doesn't put a smile on my face.

Archived