LegacyGT.com

How is the awd suppose to react?

Hey all,

Quick question. This weekend it was raining a bit and i have crappy tires so I was able to spin quite easily. Like sitting at a light and taking off on green, I would smash the gas. The front wheels would spin until I let off the gas. If I were to smash the gas and let off and then smash it again, it wouldn't spin the 2nd time I mashed it but the first time it still would.

I was under the impression that the awd was proactive and it was hard to get a Subaru to spin because of the sophisticated awd system.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal as I find this to be the case every time it rains.

I have a 2006 2.5i Limited with an auto 4 speed tranny.

Thanks

Sounds normal to me.

Put the same crappy tires on a RWD/FWD car, given the same power/throttle input, and the Subie will pick up traction sooner.

AWD shines more while the vehicle is turning. If you floor the gas in a RWD during a turn while it's raining, the car's rear will whip around more than an AWD car.

AWD doesn't make you invincible tho, it's just more forgiving than RWD/FWD.

wpmarky, also the AWD tends to react more like RWD in slippy conditions. I can kick the back of my wagon out on a couple of off camber intersections and keep the back out for a long time even in second gear. 5MT/with good clutch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

for the gt crowd, the 5EAT acts (45 front/ 55 rear) but you also have a rear LSD.

for the 5MT its a 50/50 power split with a viscous coupling also with rear LSD.

all stated in cars101 which gives a pretty good description with research of our vehicles.

Thanks guys for the response. I read a sticky and yeah it is 90/10 but when power is needed to the rear, i thought it would be sent to restrict spinning of the rear wheels.

Sucks, I should have gotten a 5 speed as i still basically have a fwd and I wanna be able to drift in the snow. I might sell and buy a 5 speed if I can.

I was under the impression that the awd was proactive and it was hard to get a Subaru to spin because of the sophisticated awd system.

I have a 2006 2.5i Limited with an auto 4 speed tranny.

4EAT does not have "sophisticated awd system". You need VTD available with 5EAT (5 speed auto) or STI with DCCD for this. This is the case of you get what you pay for.

Krzys

Thanks guys for the response. I read a sticky and yeah it is 90/10 but when power is needed to the rear, i thought it would be sent to restrict spinning of the rear wheels.

Sucks, I should have gotten a 5 speed as i still basically have a fwd and I wanna be able to drift in the snow. I might sell and buy a 5 speed if I can.

You might want to look into this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/4eat-wire-50-50-center-diff-switch-142078.html

4EAT does not have "sophisticated awd system". You need VTD available with 5EAT (5 speed auto) or STI with DCCD for this. This is the case of you get what you pay for.

Krzys

Yeah I guess but I didn't know any of this until after I bought the car or else I would have gotten a GT.

4eat is a reactive awd system and very basic. couple that with open diffs front and rear and you have a system that will spin wheels in low traction situations easier than other subaru awd setups.

I guess I have to wait until winter comes to see :cool:

Way out of my league but is a better option then buying a new car. Thanks

Archived