LegacyGT.com

Sunroof squeek

Well, it's finally happened. I've officially got my first squeek. The sunfoof shade is making noise. I think it's the shade because the noise disappears if I push up on it. It sounds like two pieces of soft plastic tapping against each other.

Before I go out and start tearing things apart I thought I'd ask if anyone else has the same problem and already sorted it out.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I too have experienced the occasional sunroof squeek on my 05 LGT.

The sound seems to come from the passenger side in the space between the black (accordian like) plastic trim.

I examined this area, cleaned and lubricated all of the contacts -- and found this helped to reduce but not eliminate the occurance of this noise.

Please let me know is you discover the ultimate cause of the noise and (preferably) a solution.

I think I have a similar noise too. It's a very subtle soft plastic on plastic tapping sound that seems to happen when the sunshade is fully closed. Pulling it open just a hair gets rid of it. I may just play around with some weatherstripping to see if that will muffle it.

Ken

I think I have a similar noise too. It's a very subtle soft plastic on plastic tapping sound that seems to happen when the sunshade is fully closed. Pulling it open just a hair gets rid of it. I may just play around with some weatherstripping to see if that will muffle it.

Ken

Wow, I totally forgot about this thread since it's been a while since I posted about it.

Ken, those are exactly the symptoms I have. Mine also goes away if I pull the shade open slightly. I was considering adding some velcro (soft side only) to the top of the plastic trim piece that runs around the headliner hole in the hopes that the noise is the shade rubbing on the plastic trim piece.

Keep me updated if you get to the weatherstripping idea before I try my velcro idea.

Brian

• 4 months later...

I had the same noise from day 1..

If I push up on the sunroof glass it goes away. The noise occurs mainly over high frequency bumps (such as in concrete, etc). It is driving me crazy - very loud. When I move the sun shade it seems to stop for a second.

Has anyone found out what it is exactly? I am thinking the sunroof is vibrating in its slides.

-Rob

Rob,

Sorry to hear you've joined the club. Mine definitely isn't the glass, but the sunroof shade. Pushing on the shade makes the noise go away.

As of today I haven't done anything about it because a: it really hasn't done it much lately, b, If it does I usually turn up the radio.

I suspect though as the temps start to dip here that the squeek will reappear. I think it's either the slides or maybe the insulation under the sunroof shade that's squeeking. I read another member on here describe the sound as styrofoam egg cartons rubbing against each other. That's a perfect description for what I've got.

Honestly though this doesn't bother me that much as the car is very tight otherwise and I haven't had ANY other issues. *runs to find some wood to knock on*

Brian

This is a pretty common problem. I haven't had it on my Outback yet, but have on previous car and solved it by applying silicon grease (comes in a tube like toothpaste). Just dab on finger and apply to rubber surround to keep it pliable. Squeeking stops for about 6 months to a year.

The shade seems to apply enough pressure to it to silence the "styrofoam" rubbing.

Jim,

I think the consensus is that you just have to put a lubricant on the rubber trim piece that goes around the headliner (finishing piece). The shade slides along this trim piece and the interaction of the fabric and rubber makes a "squeak". Something like ArmorAll or even better 303 Aerospace protectant may help with the sound (or a sillicon spray as posted above). I doubt a dealership is really going to be able to resolve this, and it will just return in the future.

Archived