LegacyGT.com

intake = more fuel consumption?

Ok, so i put the intake tube from a 95 leg, on my 97 LGT, put a cone filter before the MAF, and it seems that the cars burns alot more fuel then before with the stock intake. Alot of buddies are telling me it shouldn't be that much harder on gas with the intake. Anyone have any ideas as to why it is? Or suggestions on how to improve fuel economy?

^^ correct. I switched from a CAI recently to a short ram intake. I bought a cone filter and a $5 intake bracket from...I think...a chrystler? I looked it up in a book at napa, and I threw that on the bracket for the MAF tube, and then screwed down the filter with the included rubber rings to fit the bracket. Works like a charm. I get better mileage now, 1-2mpg over the fabbed CAI that didn't even touch the maf tube.

how can i correct my rich running legacy, with a BLACK exhaust tip haha.

can we use air fuel ratio controllers with our cars??

unfortunately our ecus kinda suck for pretty much everything, no reflashing or anything so im not sure if this is possible.

could running rich cause a popping sound out of my exhaust??

or is that due to a lower compression in one of my cylinders?

read this:Intakes on NA Subies

mostly focused towards the newer MAF cars but the concepts are all the same and we would probably see the same results if someone had the time and money to test it. the Hybrid can easily be built for our cars and probably the best option.

i have also been toying around with the idea of trying one of these: MAF Calibrator to see if i could tune the MAF for more flow. just hard to bite the bullet on a $200 part that may or may not work on the Subies

If you are using half the air box then you have the stock MAF tube

what are we talking about here? the problem that people encounter is when messing with the intake before the maf. which i did. and it would fine and adds power and sound..

we're all older legacys here with the maf unfortunately :(

I'll get some pics of my setup, but after going over every option for intakes and everything, I've found this is the way I like the most because it's cheap, simple, and has improved some elements like sound, power, and efficiency. win win, booyah!

we're all older legacys here with the maf unfortunately :(

I'll get some pics of my setup, but after going over every option for intakes and everything, I've found this is the way I like the most because it's cheap, simple, and has improved some elements like sound, power, and efficiency. win win, booyah!

pics please?

here is what i did. Look at picture titles for the before and the after.

before.jpg.10f55a8cd7e6ac0691af063f8e5e5761.jpg

after.jpg.d93c4fb476fd2aa05d32d9ea362d4cbe.jpg

Darkebane, that is EXACTLY what I did. Literally the cone filter is right next to the maf on a bracket. And I picked up a 2.2 intake tube...chuckadian that's what the pipe is. The 2.2s didn't have the plennum, or "torque box" as it was called. It's just for a reserve of air at a dead stop, in case you decide to goose it and need the extra air. I haven't noticed a difference, but then again, the assholes who swapped in the 2.2 on mine left the 2.5 intake setup with the air box. I think the 2.2 has one more vacuum hose inlet, and that wasn't hooked up with the 2.5 intake tube. so the morons capped it, and I the poor little engine built up insane amounts of pressure and squeaked like a sonofabitch all the time :( ranting done.

Darkebane, what have you noticed with your setup? I wanna hear how other people like the short ram air design.

Less torque at butt dyno..and fuel mileage is horrible. But it seems im the only person who has the mileage problem. oh and the sound inside the car is freaking INSANE loud...i love it lmao. Now if only i was a 5mt instead of 4at....

Archived