LegacyGT.com

Hello Everyone,

Bought a 2010 Legacy 2.5 last month after having to get rid of my 05 Audi S4. I babied the car for the first 1500 miles and have just recently starting taking it above 3 grand and doing a little more spirited driving. The issue that I am having has been there from day one, I was just seeing if it was a factor of the car needing to be broken in.

I am wondering if anyone with the CVT has noticed a shudder when the car is downshifting itself. When I ease my foot off the gas (most prevalent at around 20 mph) the car shakes a small amount, like not being in the right gear, then when I hit the gas again shakes the same. Obviously the car is switching gears but it is rougher than my girlfriends 2010 toyota corrola. Maybe this has to do with the CVT, I wanted to see what the experts say before I called the dealer. I searched the forum here but could only find the hesitation issues reported about the 3.6 and the older gen 3.0.

Other than that issue the car has been great so far. I look forward to being part of the community with fellow enthusiasts!

I had a problem somewhat like this (2008 legacy 2.5i) except i drive a 5 speed. Although the way you described this ("like not being in the right gear") doesn't sound identical to mine. When I was downshifting or basically not giving it gas while in gear and between 2k-3k rpm the shifter would vibrate and it sounded like a heat shield was loose. I brought it into the dealer last week for an oil changed and had them look at the noise since I couldn't find any loose heat shields. They said they think it's a transmission bearing and they need to take out the tranny and inspect the whole thing. Good thing I'm still covered by warranty :D

So, my best suggestion is that you bring it in this week and just have them take a quick look at it.. it sounds like it is something along the same lines, although probably not the exact same thing... if that makes sense?

I'm no expert, but I have noticed it too. I only have 700 miles on my 2011, but I am not too concerned at this point. It almost seems like the tranny doesn't know what gear to use...however, the intelligence of the CVT still amazes me. People think I have a 6 cylinder when pulling hills, so the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Radica1 I appreciate the insight. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have had anyone else bring this up just to be sure. That's great you were still under warranty!

Zimbonies, that's what I was initially thinking, it was just the CVT being the CVT. I agree it's a great tranny and don't mind the shake too much if it is indeed supposed to be doing that.

2011 nice nice:) The CVT shudder is the same as a 5MT in too tall of a gear at low speeds. I drove a 2011 for a day when my 2008 was getting a new clutch pack and noticed the same thing. When I took it back to get my car i mentioned in passing that it acts like a 5 spd at low speeds the tech responded "it is normal in the CVTs, it does what every other normal legacy does with the same trans" so maybe after a few 1Ks miles it will go away as in you will forget about it ;)

Archived