LegacyGT.com

idling rough!! gear box sound strange!?

Hi All,

I am bit puzzled i have first generation Subaru legacy 1989 manual trans. and in recent time i have noticed a strange noise coming from the gear box. the noise seems to be more prevalent when the car is in gear( manual gear box) and seems to go away as it picks up the speed. Then also i have observed when the clutch pedal is engaged prior to stop at the traffic light there is a sound that i really can't describe but I'll try like something is spinning in the gear box at an incredible speed and somehow it subdues within a short period.. then as soon as i push into the gear and let of the clutch pedal the noise comes back. is the gear box running low on oil? i have checked the dipstick and it looks at the right level or the gear box oil is dirty? or the gear box is nearing the end of life?

what should i do? where should i start from?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Chances are its the throwout bearing. Unless you've recently replaced the clutch, I would leave it until you need a new one. If the noise gets much worse, or you want to install a new clutch now, I'd replace the clutch and the throwout bearing. It might not hurt to drain and refill the gear oil and the front diff, but if the throwout bearing is the culprit it won't make the noise go away. A new bearing is under $40, but getting to it is the hard part. Due to the nature of the repair and the time involved to finish it, I would replace the clutch at the same time. You don't want to have to do all that work again in a couple months if your clutch takes a dump.

And if its idling rough I'd check out the Idle Air Control Solenoid. You can take it off and spray it down with some carb spray, brake spray, MAF spray, or starting fluid to get all the gunk off of it. Any of those spray cleaners will totally turn that built up gunk into liquid, causing it to just melt away into a black puddle of sadness.

I've never seen a stick shift first gen Legacy, but from the other cars I have seen I can make an educated guess.

If you go under the car from the front, the first drain plug you see is for the engine oil. The next one back from that is the front differential, probably close to where it would be in an automatic Legacy. In the automatic Legacy, the drain bolt requires a 21MM wrench to remove. The front diff should take 80w GL5 gear oil, just like the automatic Legacy. Moving even further back down the length of the car you should come across another drain plug for the transmission gear oil. Not sure what this takes but its probably GL5 as well, what weight I do not know. The parts store should be able to look it up for you, or you could flip through the owners manual and find out.

Chances are its the throwout bearing. Unless you've recently replaced the clutch, I would leave it until you need a new one. If the noise gets much worse, or you want to install a new clutch now, I'd replace the clutch and the throwout bearing. It might not hurt to drain and refill the gear oil and the front diff, but if the throwout bearing is the culprit it won't make the noise go away. A new bearing is under $40, but getting to it is the hard part. Due to the nature of the repair and the time involved to finish it, I would replace the clutch at the same time. You don't want to have to do all that work again in a couple months if your clutch takes a dump.

And if its idling rough I'd check out the Idle Air Control Solenoid. You can take it off and spray it down with some carb spray, brake spray, MAF spray, or starting fluid to get all the gunk off of it. Any of those spray cleaners will totally turn that built up gunk into liquid, causing it to just melt away into a black puddle of sadness.

well said...^^^

also check the ignition coil for rough idle.

Archived