LegacyGT.com

Thinking about joining the Subaru Army...

Been lurking on here for the past couple of days and decided to finally ask something. My Civic is on its last legs so I began looking for something different.

Long story short: I took an '05 LGT Limited for a test drive and fell in love. So I'm looking at some 2005's currently because they're a) in my price range and b) awesome.

I have found some LGTs with anywhere from 70K-90K miles on them and was curious about what y'all's experience has been with them. I remember reading somewhere that some people were having issues with the turbos at around 90K miles. So how does a higher-mileage LGT hold up? One of the ones I found is for sale at a Subie dealer, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's been through some sort of certified inspection. I'm pretty much already planning for a 100K mile service and other odds and ends (which I'm budgeting for) but I kinda want a better picture of what I'm getting into.

If the turbo is going to be an expensive proposition or otherwise turn into a garage queen, I'm also up for the 2.5i (preferably Limited, I'm done with cloth upholstery).

So, please advise, future Legacy family, what should I look out for?

Well congrats on moving into the consideration stages of purchasing a LGT. As far as issues based on mileage seems to be hard to pinpoint. I have read on here of turbo going out left and right with some only having 30k on it. So don't let it scare you too bad just be prepared for the possibility. Then again any car can have a catastrophic failure regardless. Also you may want to take a look in the pre purchase question forum.

Best of Luck with your decision.

The two best possibilities for me are in other states (I'm in Mass and the two GTs are in Connecticut and New Hampshire) so it's going to have to be a road trip. The one in CT is at a Subaru dealer so I'm thinking that one is the better bet of the 2 GTs I found. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if I can get some pics emailed, and might just drive out there this weekend. I could use the alone time on the highway anyway.

Glad you desire to leave the douche-e-ness of the civic crowd:) The only advice I would give is dont let the dealer talk you into a new 2.5i instead of a used LGT. Just get a LGT from the get go and you will be happy

Why don't you post some details up under the "new england" part of the forum. Maybe someone lives near those subies and could check it out for you. I noticed some people did that no one hesitated to look for them.

@Gee Otto, yeah I figured I'm all grown up now and it's about time to send my 10 year-old Civic out to pasture haha

@lordchilly, I guess I should try scrolling down more often from the main forum page...derp. Gonna check out the NE forums right now.

Where in CT is the dealer? Im in south western CT and might be up for a short trip, depending on where to check it out.

Just got tuned this morning for my stage 2 mods so I am up for a little driving, although not too far

The two best possibilities for me are in other states (I'm in Mass and the two GTs are in Connecticut and New Hampshire) so it's going to have to be a road trip.

Road trips are a perfect time to learn the car.

Yes its easy for me to say that, but it IS the best time to learn the quirks, how to drive it, etc....and hopefully there is some semblance of warranty :D

...honestly though, you'll be stoked.

@Gee Otto, yeah I figured I'm all grown up now and it's about time to send my 10 year-old Civic out to pasture haha

@lordchilly, I guess I should try scrolling down more often from the main forum page...derp. Gonna check out the NE forums right now.

nothing wrong with a high millage lgt, just the previous owner...

just like buying any used car in the market, you'r gambling. The potential problem can relate to: dirty injectors, failed o2 sensor, banjo bolt -> turbo... could be any kind of problem if you spend enough time searching around in this forum.

I myself have a 80k lgt and already fuel pump + 3 injectors failed, alternator is gone, turbo is still doing fine so far. Did you look under the hood yet? Does it have a lot of mods? if it does, there is a good chance of the previous owner already beat the hell out of it...

2.5i can be a more reliable choice for a used car... it is more economy than the lgt (which get 18mpg on Premium gas). Ofc, the 2.5i is much weaker, but no turbo = no worries!! ;)

Good luck on making your decision, and welcome on board:eek:

Road trips are a perfect time to learn the car.

Yes its easy for me to say that, but it IS the best time to learn the quirks, how to drive it, etc....and hopefully there is some semblance of warranty :D

...honestly though, you'll be stoked.

That's what I'm thinking, plus of course I'd like to punch it once or twice on the highway. And keep it under 65, of course. :D

Demo, the dealership is about 20 milesish NW of Hartford. I'll probably end up out there this weekend anyway. I need an excuse to get out of the house. ;)

nothing wrong with a high millage lgt, just the previous owner...

just like buying any used car in the market, you'r gambling. The potential problem can relate to: dirty injectors, failed o2 sensor, banjo bolt -> turbo... could be any kind of problem if you spend enough time searching around in this forum.

I myself have a 80k lgt and already fuel pump + 3 injectors failed, alternator is gone, turbo is still doing fine so far. Did you look under the hood yet? Does it have a lot of mods? if it does, there is a good chance of the previous owner already beat the hell out of it...

2.5i can be a more reliable choice for a used car... it is more economy than the lgt (which get 18mpg on Premium gas). Ofc, the 2.5i is much weaker, but no turbo = no worries!! ;)

Good luck on making your decision, and welcome on board:eek:

Thanks. Really I'm just making sure it's not some kind of lemon situation like you have with the older VWs or Audis, where certain years are notorious for electrical or certain engine problems and whatnot.

Demo, the dealership is about 20 milesish NW of Hartford. I'll probably end up out there this weekend anyway. I need an excuse to get out of the house. ;)

Sorry, thats a little further then I would be up for driving.... damn that tune cost alot and left me a little needy for money.... but I hear yah on a need to get out of the house.

Good luck on finding a car. These cars are great I'm on my second, sadly the first was totaled in an accident, so much fun.... if you can wagons kick a** but thats all personal preference.

Thanks. Really I'm just making sure it's not some kind of lemon situation like you have with the older VWs or Audis, where certain years are notorious for electrical or certain engine problems and whatnot.

I've heard somewhere in this forum that the turbo from 05-07 LGT range (VF40) has more potential to fail than the later model...

It's just a rumor :iam:

Archived