LegacyGT.com

So waht smells like an exhaust leak but is NOT an exhaust leak?

mpiotro

Symptoms...

Can not drive the car with the windows open- ehaust odor is very strong... The intensity of the odor increases linearly with load... just loafing along on the interstate it's almost but not quite bearable to have windows/sunroof open... but downshift and accelerate a bit and you are rewarded with strong exhaust smell. With windows up and AC in recirculate... no smell. AC and fresh air you get exhaust smell. I was 99.9% sure I had an exhaust leak...

Tonight we had car running on a lift and checked every square inch of exhaust from the heads to the tailpipe. Tight as a drum- I mean NO LEAKS of any kind. I can say with a good degree of certainty that it is NOT a fuel leak- and several experienced people who have ridden in the car all thought for sure we would find an exhaust leak.

So... what smells like an exhaust leak but isn't an exhaust leak? Having a wagon with a panoramic sunroof you can't use SUCKS!

Had the exact same issue on my '05 LGT wagon (non-limited; i.e. no sunroof). Paul's solution works!!!! Please check out his thread. Installed a towel over each "vent" and this solved the problem. I can now drive with just with drivers window down without any exhaust smell whatsoever.

Had the exact same issue on my '05 LGT wagon (non-limited; i.e. no sunroof). Paul's solution works!!!! Please check out his thread. Installed a towel over each "vent" and this solved the problem. I can now drive with just with drivers window down without any exhaust smell whatsoever.

The only downside is the doors need a little extra effort to close with all the windows up.

WOOHOO!!!!

Stinky car is gone! I drove all the way to work this morning with my giant panoramic sunroof open. It was lovely.

I had some professional grade Shurtape Aluminum duct tape and covered both breather boxes in the rear quarter panels. Once I got in there it was clear that there was a lot of dust and pollen backflowing into the car. The passenger side rubber flap was folded up weird and was basically wide open to outside air. What a terrible design...

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU! My 17 mos old baby thanks you, too!

I think the real issue here is the vent boxes are not working as they should... Closing them off really isn't the solution since they are designed to flow in one direction only, so if its flowing in both then I think you should fix it and not just duct tape the issue.

Archived