LegacyGT.com

Spec B winter wheels

gtg708q

I have a 08 Spec B running the stock wheels and tires. I live up in NJ and have faced the fact that I need winter tires. I also have aftermarket springs/shocks which lowers the clearance between the stock tire and wheel wheel to about two fingers. What is the best option for winter wheels/tires? Is it better/cheaper to swap out the tires with winter tires using the existing wheels? Or get a new set of wheels just for winter? Would winter tires even fit on the stock wheels with the limited clearance?

I would REALLY recommend getting a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires.

A few reasons why:

Every time you swap tires onto/off of a rim, there's a chance of scratching the rim. It usually happens every time at least a little bit

Getting a set of painted wheels (rather than chrome, or polished alloy etc) will help the wheel resist corrosion due to road salt

Cost of mounting tires on a rim twice a year at a shop will eventually add up to a new set of wheels (maybe not BBS wheels though lol)

More wheels = FUN

I use my stock spec B wheels as my winter wheel, because it's narrow and well suited for snow. I use Pirelli SottoZero 215/45/18 and have not had clearance issues while lowered on iON springs. Once, after a bad snow storm, I got a little snow scooping into the radiator, but that was a record snow storm, so....If you have a front lip though, you'll want to remove that for winter.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Thanks. Ya i was pretty set on getting a new set of wheels. What is the best option for my car? Ive heard alot of people just get a set of LGT 17" wheels? Does anyone ever get steel wheels?

Both are good options for you, LGT 17s or steelies it just comes down to price v looks and what matters to you. Chances are you can pick up a set of LGT stockers for pretty cheap in the member FS forum.

Steel wheels won't clear the brakes.

Options are to pick up a used set on member classifieds OR you can mount snows on your stockers and pick up a new set of wheels for a summer setup.

Good luck.

this is going to be my path. put snows on my stock rims and get a summer set of tires/rims next summer.

Steel wheels won't clear the brakes.

Options are to pick up a used set on member classifieds OR you can mount snows on your stockers and pick up a new set of wheels for a summer setup.

Good luck.

this is going to be my path. put snows on my stock rims and get a summer set of tires/rims next summer.

Good luck in your search. There are a ton of choices .... which can be good or bad. :redface:

Archived