LegacyGT.com

Track Day

colatkitty

Been to the track 3 times with my Legacy GT, but had yet to see another one there. Does anyone here take their Legacies to the track? I see tons of Evo's and WRX's and Sti's. We Legacies need to represent... BTW, the next track event held by Redline is at Buttonwillow on May 8. Hope to see some of you guys there.

If only I had my car and I were home, I'd definitely go. How do you rate the Legacy on the track in comparison to the Evo's and Impreza's? I know when I was at the Spring Fun Run, all the Subarus kept a fast pace/kept up really well (I was in my friend's Evo MR).
-ben

Stock Legacy GT's would not be able to hang with the Evo's or Sti's on the track, maybe keep pace with stock WRX's. Our Legacies are just a bit too soft, and rolls quite a lot.

I have gone to the track 3 different times, with the car at different stages of modification. The first time I went, my car was completely stock. I was able to keep up with the WRXs on the straights, but they would kill me in the corners (damn RE 92's). The second time I went, I had up and downpipes and better tires (Toyo Proxes 4s) in stock size and thought that with the better tires, I would corner a lot faster. But I was wrong. The slightly stickier tires just made the body roll worse, and wore the front outside shoulders of the tires badly, even with 44psi pressure up front. The third time, I installed an Accessport stage 2 and Perrin front/rear sways, and they helped with the body roll drastically. I was able to keep up with most Evos and Sti's and able to pass several other fast cars :D .

I just installed the Spec B suspensions, and feel that the limiting factors now for me are the tires, and my driving ability...

I wish I lived closer, I have seen several of the tracks in California on the website linked below. My cousin (Mustang fanatic) sent this to me. It shows long in car videos of several of the tracks in California including Buttonwillow. Check it out, watching this 2004 STI carve his way through traffic is awesome.

http://teamvenomracing.com/index.htm

The Legacies that Axis008 referred to keeping up with friend's MR were not close to stock. Stock for stock, of course it wouldn't even be close. Throw some mods at the LGT and it becomes a reasonable track car. Weight wise the LGT is actually within about 100 of the STi, so that is not a big deal. I'd love to see what my car would do at the track with the Tein coilovers. I'd probably swap to some stickier tires on some lighter wheels before hitting the track though.

Are there any tracks closer to San Diego? I searched, but haven't come up with anything. I'd love to do a couple track runs.

I ran an open track day years ago at an old landing strip/airport that rents out it's runways to car clubs. It was south-east of SD a couple hours, past El Centro, pretty close to the Mexican and Arizona borders. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It wasn't the greatest track in the world, and in the middle of nowhere, but it was cheap and a lot of fun.

wow...if this happens i'm in, i'd love to see what my wagon can do...full of groceries, and a snowboard rack....with 4 guys in it! haha...jk...it wouldnt be full of groceries, i'd be eating the cheetos and driving one handed with my gold teeth in!!

damn i gotta get out of work!!

~Sucka-Duck~

The Legacies that Axis008 referred to keeping up with friend's MR were not close to stock. Stock for stock, of course it wouldn't even be close.

Doh! Didn't think about that :p.

So what's the northernmost track in SoCal? I'd be willing to drive down there from the bay area to represent at a BYOC day if it's not too pricey. Events at Laguna Seca or Sears Point are either rare or expensive.

This isn't SoCal, but Infineon Raceway is near you, too :). Not sure if it's cheap or expensive though. I think the northernmost track in SoCal is Buttonwillow. Everything above that I consider Central and Northern California.

-ben

Youngsters :) Before some German semiconductor company with the made-up name Infineon bought the ability to slap their name on a racetrack, it was called Sears Point...

And you can call it 3com or (now) Monster Park all you want, but it'll always be Candlestick to me.

If anyone's up for a "short" drive up I-5, there's always Thunderhill near Redding. They have track days every once in a while for $195, including instruction. Might cost you $50 in gas to get there though!

I submitted my registration on the redlinetrackevents website for the 8th, but i haven't heard anything back yet. hmmph...

If I remember correctly, I don't think they will email you back. If you Paypal them, your name will be on their list of drivers usually by the next day. Check there to see if they have already put you on their list.

Archived