LegacyGT.com

Brembo swap

Hello, I was wondering how many of the 4th gens are running around with Brembo's. I was wondering if it was necessary to replace the master cylinder or if the pedal feel was crap.

Thank you in advanced.

Waz.

Plenty of people have done full Brembo swaps around here. You do not need to swap out the master cylinder. I would recommend swapping out the brake lines, but it is not required. Note that the rears are not a direct bolt-on - you'll need brackets, and either unique rotors or e-brake adapter shoes, and some grinding.

Search - there are numerous (and I do mean numerous) threads containing more than you ever need to know.

I did a quick search and it seemed like most people had mentioned SS brake lines and different pad choices. I didn't see much about the master cylinder. Thats why I asked.

Just to note though, 2008 STi rears are direct fitment for my year of LGT (2010).

I was asking about the 4th gens because I'm the only 5th gen with a brembo swap. I assumed that there was a better chance of finding information about 4th gen brembo swaps than 5th bgen brembo swaps.

Thanks for the compliment.

I was asking about the 4th gens because I'm the only 5th gen with a brembo swap. I assumed that there was a better chance of finding information about 4th gen brembo swaps than 5th bgen brembo swaps.

Thanks for the compliment.

I thought I read somewhere someone else with a 5th gen had done the swap? I remember seeing a picture of the rears done (he did them in his driveway while his gf was gone or something---maybe that was you :lol: ).

ha ha ha that was me, I was doing a test fit. It wasn't the GF, it was the wife i was trying to do the test fit while she was away. The GF is down with the mods. Just kidding.

:lol: Cool. Good luck with it. I'm not a huge fan of the new Legacy, but it's starting to grow on me a tiny bit. Yours looks really good. :)

:lol: Cool. Good luck with it. I'm not a huge fan of the new Legacy, but it's starting to grow on me a tiny bit. Yours looks really good. :)

I haven't really been excited about this car until today. Its growing on me as well. Thanks again.

Same fitting issues which require a rear bracket?

No. I don't think anyone has figured them out for the 05-09 LGT (yet).

And for the record, I'm strictly talking about the rear '08+ STi Brembos. The fronts are a direct bolt up to the 05-09 LGT.

No. I don't think anyone has figured them out for the 05-09 LGT (yet).

And for the record, I'm strictly talking about the rear '08+ STi Brembos. The fronts are a direct bolt up to the 05-09 LGT.

KNS brakes has a mounting bracket for 04-07 Rear sti brakes.

i have had the f/r swap on my 06 for a few months now with braided lines...did not replace master cylinder, pedal feel is amazing...but since my tires are shit, i use very little force on the pedal as they like to lock up on uneven roads...

KNS brakes has a mounting bracket for 04-07 Rear sti brakes.

Yes, but not for the '08+ rear STi brakes.

Here's what will/won't currently work on the 4th gen LGT/OBXT:

Work:

04-07 STi Front Brembo calipers

08+ STi Front Brembo calipers

04-07 STi Rear Brembo calipers (not a direct bolt on, a few things need to be swapped/changed)

Won't Work:

08+ STi Rear Brembo calipers

Yes, but not for the '08+ rear STi brakes.

Here's what will/won't currently work on the 4th gen LGT/OBXT:

Work:

04-07 STi Front Brembo calipers

08+ STi Front Brembo calipers

04-07 STi Rear Brembo calipers (not a direct bolt on, a few things need to be swapped/changed)

Won't Work:

08+ STi Rear Brembo calipers

For the rear, you need to buy the bracket and shave down the dust shield or remove it altogether if I remember correctly. A few guys at our local Subaru Legacy meet have done this mod and on one car I did not even see the rear dust shield.

Archived