LegacyGT.com

Stock LGT TMIC Question????

eterenity11

I search and search and read and read.....How much Psi can ours tmic take?????

I remember reading it somewhere that the max boost before the TMIC start to fall apart was 17-18 pound of boost but can seem to find it the tread anymore.....

Please Correct me please...

Just from what I've read, you will sooner or later blow an end tank with extended use at 20 psi and over. You may be able to get away with 18-19 psi for quite a while though, especially if you jb weld the end tanks. My Infamous tune maxes at 17.5 psi (@ 1500ft alt), which most people would consider fairly safe on the stock tmic. Stock max target boost is 13.5 I think.

Also consider if you live in a hot/humid/low lying part of the world, you're subjecting you IC to more stress from the added heat and pressure and you've got to consider that too.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Anything over 17.5psi is danger land. Even 17 can be pushing it. JB weld the tabs on the end tanks and 18-19 for a while. But sooner or later the JB weld will give. Its just a cheap design. Darn tabs bent over the plastic endtanks. One nice thing is that they are available cheap all the time in the classifieds.

I was running a max 18 psi Stage 2 tune for about a year and the tabs were starting to loosen. Rather then deal with the mess of JB weld and inevitable failure, I got the AVO TMIC and haven't had to worry since. I would think anything above 17 psi would cause eventual problems as the stock TMIC wasn't built for this kind of abuse- kind of a cheap design in my mind.

I wouldn't say "cheap" design, just designed to be enough for stock boost :)

The amount of surface area for cooling is actually very good for the space it fits in. It's probably about as good as you can get for 11 psi and 180 whp.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

I'm keeping the stock one until I can convince TurboXS to build a LGT/WRX TMIC
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Why TurboXS? There is a new lower cost TMIC out now available from forum vendors. There is also the Racer FMIC available for under $800. Already more options than Perrin and AVO. Not sure how many more companies will jump on the TMIC. Market is quickly getting swamped with parts and only so many interested buyers.

My TMIC is handling 18.5 psi just fine, and I check it for stress. I recently found a sliced seal on the exhaust hose of the TIMC (driver side), other than that, no problems.

I think it could handle 19 but I can't see 20.

the problem is, so many aftermarket intercoolers are just thrown together, "look at me, I'm all metal" without any really good efficiency. I'm not even sure if AVO or Perrin make a really good TIMC, and aren't relying on their name. If I had to do mine, I'd go have it made custom by a speed shop, but that's just me.

the problem is, so many aftermarket intercoolers are just thrown together, "look at me, I'm all metal" without any really good efficiency. I'm not even sure if AVO or Perrin make a really good TIMC, and aren't relying on their name. If I had to do mine, I'd go have it made custom by a speed shop, but that's just me.

So you're saying that Perrin and AVO did not do any research and testing on their TMIC design and just threw it together?:rolleyes:

Why TurboXS? There is a new lower cost TMIC out now available from forum vendors. There is also the Racer FMIC available for under $800. Already more options than Perrin and AVO. Not sure how many more companies will jump on the TMIC. Market is quickly getting swamped with parts and only so many interested buyers.

A) I am good friends with the owner of TurboXS and the guys over there. They make the highest quality stuff around. Look who all the Lotus guys go to for supercharging...

B) I don't want an FMIC. Period. A FMIC isn't the right choice for everyone.

C) My experience with the Perrin is TERRIBLE fitment. The AVO one is nice, but small. My experience with TXS, however, has been quite the opposite.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived