LegacyGT.com

2010 SRT-8 vs. 09 Legacy GT

yeah I would never by a cadi, now matter how much horsepower they shove in it.

Yeah I mean any car I would consider used, would probably be beaten on, that is why the new option for the SRT-8 is really what I am considering.

habitual derail-er

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long have you had your SRT-8, how is the wear and tear on the thing, is it as tough as any other Jeep?

I wasn't really looking at any other cars, I just have had a craving for one of these since they came out, and seeing as there is a 5K incentive at Jeep dealerships around me, then I thought this would probably be the time to buy one, if ever.

Other things to consider:

Used S4

or some sort of used AMG

I dunno....

I just like how the SRT-8 is just a powerhouse of a SUV.

No trailblazer SS? The ls3 is a better engine than the srt-8s IMO. And if your fine with buying 1 government car from dodge then why not another lol.

My buddy is thinking LS3 SS Trailblazer.. Tow his bike and with mods probably walk my stage2 LGT. :(

Thats one thing the TBSS has over the SRT8, the ability to tow. SRT8s limit is like 3500lbs, TBSS is 6900lbs. The TBSS comes in RWD or AWD. Most people who want to make them fast go with the RWD version, people who want a DD get AWD.

The E55 AMG is a compelling family hauler. It's got all the aftermarket you'd expect for a blown v8 with excellent DD manners. Eventually I'll get one of those or an S600 -- it'll run in the low 12s with just a tune.

I've heard bad things about the drivetrain on the SRT-8's. And from quite a few places I've read about them. :S

And they took bailout money, so they should be giving you the car for free, since you've already paid for it technically.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I've seen tranny problems reported on both TBSS and SRT8 Jeep. TBSS has the old-school GM truck interior, which is just hideous. E55 AMG is stout, but extremely expensive to mod and extremely expensive to repair/maintain. They are generally reliable, however. If you were looking at an S4, I'd defintaly be looking to the new supercharged V6 with a remaining warranty.

If you are looking for brute power, how about:

A Pontiac GTO. 06's go for less-than half the price of the Jeep. They reposnd well to cheap mods.

Pontiac G8GT. See above. Can be found for mid-20K range with low miles.

Pontiac G8GXP. See above and these are rare. You'll spend about the same as the Jeep.

BMW M5 - Intoxicating 500hp V10.

E46 M3: A nice example can be had for around 25K. HorespowerFreaks can turn it into a 1,200 HP monster. How much mod money do you have? Even thier basic kit is good for almost 500whp on pump gas.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo. So much more appeal than the Jeep and it still has real hauling and off-road capability. Plus someone else has already taken the huge up-front depreciation hit on a used one.

First mod to a TBSS should be a built tranny with a 3000 or so rpm stall, 2,000 dollars for a tranny that can handle 900hp and get 1.7 60 fts with a sticky rear tire.

Were the tranny problems on the AWD or RWD TBSS? I have a few friends with them and no problems yet, both a RWD.

I drove a used SRT8 when I was shopping for the G8. It rattled so much, the driveline made some weird noises and thumps, the ride was very choppy and the seats were not comfortable. Basically I was scared away because the car at 15k miles felt like it had 75k miles on it.

I drove a used SRT8 when I was shopping for the G8. It rattled so much, the driveline made some weird noises and thumps, the ride was very choppy and the seats were not comfortable. Basically I was scared away because the car at 15k miles felt like it had 75k miles on it.

A Grand Cherokee SRT-8? Must have been pretty beat up. My GC has no rattles.

what year was the SRT8. They made some improvements in 08 to the car. The seats id have to say are very comfortable now and mine has 36k on it. Car is solid. No funky noises whatsoever.

Yeah I origianlly owned an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee loaded, never had any rattles and was solid up until the time a rod snapped in the engine, and it exploded 150K miles on the V6 engine.

After seeing and reading all of these opinions, I am still up in the air. with the new 2011 GC coming out soon, the V8 5.6L is pretty lucrative, 360HP stock, 0-60 7.0 seconds, and really capable off road as is stock with the premium offroad package, with air suspension.

I am kinda leaning toward a new 2011........

habitual derail-er

Yeah I origianlly owned an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee loaded, never had any rattles and was solid up until the time a rod snapped in the engine, and it exploded 150K miles on the V6 engine.

After seeing and reading all of these opinions, I am still up in the air. with the new 2011 GC coming out soon, the V8 5.6L is pretty lucrative, 360HP stock, 0-60 7.0 seconds, and really capable off road as is stock with the premium offroad package, with air suspension.

I am kinda leaning toward a new 2011........

We have a 2011 here on the lot with the 3.6L V6. 290bhp, it's no slouch and it is swwet and smooth. The Hemi 5.7 is kind of overkill on the 2011, but I can say the build quality is exceptional. We had to adjust the driver door for it to close a little more easily. I put in a claim for 14 dollars to adjust the door. Well, the platform engineer, the plant manager AND the guy who hung the door in the factory called to get details. I am impressed with the new Chrysler so far.

I say do it! Definitely get the Hemi. I was trying to make up my mind as to what I would want next and came up with the same answer. I've had a 96 and a 99 GC, both w/ V8's. They were lifted with exhaust and mud tires. I kept going through transfer cases, so I got a LGT. I've been through 2 tranny rebuilds and a center diff in the LGT. So not much different. I was at the beach a couple of weeks ago and saw a black GC SRT8 w/ the stinger style pipe that exits in the middle of the back bumper. It sounded so nice. I miss the off roading too, but could probably drive that thing for at least a couple of years no problem. Could always build a trail rigg out of an old wrangler on the side.

I like the Hemi enough that I'd get it in any vehicle it's offered in. My 03 Ram has been flawless for the 4 years I've owned it. It's my DD and tows with no problems. Sure the Hemi is a little thirsty (I get 9-10 mpg in town due to my foot) but you never complain about a lack of power. It's had an intake and Superchips programmer since I bought it.

I like the Hemi enough that I'd get it in any vehicle it's offered in. My 03 Ram has been flawless for the 4 years I've owned it. It's my DD and tows with no problems. Sure the Hemi is a little thirsty (I get 9-10 mpg in town due to my foot) but you never complain about a lack of power. It's had an intake and Superchips programmer since I bought it.

They are solid engines, but each of the big 3 has some solid v8s. About the only thing i dont like about the new hemi is they arent really hemis. Dodge just new back in the day hemi meant badass, so they made an engine that is not a hemi and called it a hemi.

I thought it was the opposite -- that lots of engines have used hemispherical heads in the past 20 years. If the Hemi name was so great, why did they insist on tacking "Magnum" onto it as well?

Anyway, GM's 5.3 and Ford's 5.4 don't come close. Their 6.1 liter options are nice but the 09+ Hemi equals or beats them too. If Dodge ever puts the SRT8 6.1 in a truck it'll be solidly back on top. I wanted an 03-04 truck and drove them all. I had never even considered buying a Dodge until then, and I'm glad I did.

My previous truck was a TBI 350 GMC. It was torquey and dirt simple to work on and mod. I needed a fancier-looking truck for work or I'd still be driving it today.

I LOVE my SRT8. It is a completely different animal than the LGT. With a intake, CMR tune you will hit high 12's (and some factory freaks mid 12's) all day long. This is the second fastest dodge (STOCK) to 60 outside of the Viper and that is due to the AWD system in the Jeep. When the SRT engineers designed the AWD system they thought about bracket racing and stoplight kills. It drives and runs 90% of the time like a rear wheel drive SUV and the fronts only comeinto play when it detects the rears slipping. Anyone can go fast in this beast.

If you want to hit low 12's you can get ported heads, a mild CAM with springs + a tune and your there...if you want 11's just bolt on a Vortech and start saving for a new NAG1 transmission. Their are a handful of guys that have blowed 440, 426 and 392 conversions that are hitting in the 9's!!!

Don't get me wrong I love my FP Green Legacy and quite often me and my wife like to push both vehicles. From a stop light the SRT8 kills the Legacy (also not 100% great with launching the Legacy yet) but on a wide open stretch of road the Legacy reels and passes the SRT8 like it's standing still....5000lbs and areodynamics of a brick tend to do that.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/cb33a317.jpg

Comes with stock Brembo brakes

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/bc406520.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/654bb53e.jpg

6.1 Hemi with some custom bits

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/6ba9616b.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/7329847e.jpg

Oh and you CAN take this beast on a road course. The amount of wide eye stares you get in a SUV barreling down the track is priceless!

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/High%20Plains%20Raceway%2008%202009/SRT8HPRsideturn6.jpg

Meh, I'd pass on the SRT-8 Jeep. Like other hot-rod truck/SUV's it becomes a one trick pony that is not really all that good at anything. When made to handle and perform like a car, trucks/SUV's lose the ability to go off road, tow, and haul things. So why not just buy a fast car instead?

What I would do if I were in the market for a truck or SUV and I wanted some performance I would look into something that has the truck/SUV potential turned up. Something like the Ford SVT Raptor with the 6.2L V8 could be a hell of a lot of fun, and they will be releasing a crew cab version of it soon. Modified along those lines you maintain the utility that is attractive with that type of vehicle, but gain some really kick ass abilities in areas that are already the vehicle types strong suit.

Oh this is also our "family hauler" and my DD. So far no issues and has more than enough space for camping gear and the dog. If you want a off-road vehicle look elsewhere. If you want a fast SUV that you can haul a bunch of stuff, handles like a sports sedan and looks good (and is unique compared with other cars on the road) and want to pounce on some fast cars. This might be it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I don't regret trading my highly tuned and modifed VF39 Forester for my SRT8.

or....

you could get a V6 Tacoma 4x4 and throw a SC on it for half that.

Or a Supercharged Tundra.....

Only problem is bringing the suspension up to the same spec as the Raptor.... apparently those Fox Racing shocks cost almost as much as than the motor for all four of them. Not to mention the trick control arms and other components.:eek:

So far no issues and has more than enough space for camping gear and the dog.

News flash for you.... unless you are really hiking in from a trailhead any kind of camping you can do where all you need is a vehicle with meager ground clearance to get there.... is not really camping. :lol:

Archived