LegacyGT.com

Road Tar Under Vehicle

Check this out, was under my car today to install a new undercover and noticed a thick coating of road crap all over the control arms, sub-frame, and floor panels running back about 3 feet. It has to be about 3-4/32" thick. I took a little bit off and ended up with a ball of the shit. I have to imagine this stuff must add a good bit of weight to the vehicle as it adds up. On the upside it does rustproof the vehicle pretty well. Not a lick of rust under my vehicle :D. I'm surprised I never noticed this before. Anyone know of a good way to remove this crap?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_pyKPRmw6O0E/TCt6KDo4DXI/AAAAAAAAADo/EGN5RPE31m0/s720/IMG00047.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_pyKPRmw6O0E/TCt6KtPT_SI/AAAAAAAAADs/LLjjxchHU_c/s720/IMG00048.jpg

Thats a ball of the stuff!

i got tar flaked up my wheel wells and along my side sills a few weeks ago when i was working a paving job.

2hrs of claybarring and i got all of the visible stuff removed. I dont know if i can convince myself to go through that hell again to remove it from the underbody.

On second inspection I think you're probably right, grossest undercoating I've ever seen though. Literally gets on anything/everything and does not come off.

That's kind of the point of undercoating. You want it on everything and for it to not come off.

i got tar flaked up my wheel wells and along my side sills a few weeks ago when i was working a paving job.

2hrs of claybarring and i got all of the visible stuff removed. I dont know if i can convince myself to go through that hell again to remove it from the underbody.

Why do you care if there is tar on the underbody? Who will see it besides you or your mechanic?

Archived