LegacyGT.com

Bully Clutch Stage 2/4 hybrid

jcdennis

Okay.

Stock clutch was worn out to the point of being pretty sad.

I just put in a new Bully Clutch Stage 2 clutch and a Stage 4 pressure plate.

I've been driving standards for a while now, but never a kevlar disk.

What I'm wondering is the "grabbyness" of the clutch something that I'll get used to? Does it just seem to be as harsh as it is because I'm comparing it to a stock slipping clutch? Is my wife going to kill me (she shares the car)? :spin:

Anyone go through a similar swap with initial concerns and end up loving their upgraded clutch?

Even in the race car the with a twin disc I have never had a grabby clutch.

My Spec 2+ in the early years would seen to change the grab point. But I just side step the pedal with the tranny in neutral it would go back normal.

I do the same when it wants to chatter every now and then.

I'm over 55,000 miles on it.

Remember, this is a high performance clutch, not a POS OEM unit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^^

Understood. I actually love the pedal feel and the fact that I know this particular clutch is up to the task that I am/will put it to.

I guess my concern/questions were more to do with my seemingly deteriorated driving habits. I'm already confident that in traffic I'll pretty quickly grow accustomed to the more "on-off" nature than the previous slipping crap OEM unit.

Now... the wife. That's the pickle....

I know that a puck style clutch is known for it's on/off feel.

Do you plan on going stage 3 or something ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know that a puck style clutch is known for it's on/off feel.

Do you plan on going stage 3 or something ?

I'm planning on stage 3 next summer. Not a crazy build but something with a little more grunt. I had to do the clutch anyway so thought I'd just get the one I'd need now.

My wife drives my car (w/ Bully stage4 PP and Kevlar disc) and I don't think she notices anything at all.

It has been about 3.5 years now though.

It does change a bit in the first few thousand miles.

My OP was actually after only driving it for about 5 km from the shop back to my office. After taking it home, poking around a little last night, then the drive to work today I'm actually a LOT more comfortable with it.

I'm really starting to think that the old clutch has been on it's way out for so long that my driving style degraded right along with it. There's still the odd unintended quick start as it bites somewhat different than I'm expecting, but I'm only on around 80 km (50 miles) on it so far.

If it gets any better and/or I just get more accustomed to it I can see this combo as being a great choice for me (daily driver -> performance).

Thanks guys - for bringing me back to earth a little. Just didn't like the thought of spending all that $$$ to then decided I couldn't live with it in the stop and go traffic I see to and from work everyday! :spin:

:redface:

• 7 months later...

Bumping with a bit of a review - as well as a question.

This combo has become very easy to live with in terms of engagement point as well as pedal feel. However I have had a bit of noise upon engagement since break-in.

Nothing major, and I was advised it was more likely the bearing touching something than the clutch and not to worry.

Now however I've noticed it slip a few times on me. I'm not impressed with that at all and am wondering who exactly (shop that installed it - bully - or me) should I be upset with. As well if anyone has a suggestion how I should go forward. Really don't fancy the idea of paying to have a new one as it's been less than a year now at stage 1....

I wish I knew what to say.

I had my bully kit for a few years. I didn't abuse it at all, but it could easily spin all 4 and worked great up to 23 psi with pump and meth. (370+ wtq on an airboy).

Then it started to slip at 380-390 wtq.

I got a new one with a custom even stronger PP, and I used it at -15F weather for MAF scaling. Did lots of 5th gear runs with high wtq, no slip at all.

Now it is broken in, and it is starting to slip in 5th again.:mad:

I wish I knew what to say.

I had my bully kit for a few years. I didn't abuse it at all, but it could easily spin all 4 and worked great up to 23 psi with pump and meth. (370+ wtq on an airboy).

Then it started to slip at 380-390 wtq.

I got a new one with a custom even stronger PP, and I used it at -15F weather for MAF scaling. Did lots of 5th gear runs with high wtq, no slip at all.

Now it is broken in, and it is starting to slip in 5th again.:mad:

At least you're putting down some good numbers. The part that really gets me is that I had this put in when my stock clutch went with the intention of getting a new turbo in the summer and wanting to make sure I was prepared....

For it to have failed while I'm still "stage 1" is sort of a kick in the.....

It's strange to me that it's not consistent too. It first slipped in 4th, and I was surprised so tried to get it to slip again and it did. Then later that evening I pushed it to try to show my wife (who's not familiar with what to look for) and it didn't show any signs at all of giving. I put it from my mind as a one off... then the next morning is slipped in 5th. That was a week ago, and now it's working fine. :confused:

I'm hesitant to just pull it out as I've not really got anywhere to work on the car myself right now, so it'd be a shop... and paying more $$$ on the clutch right now just isn't sitting too well.

Archived