LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Clutch Replacement

Holy balls was that ever a job. It took me and a mechanically inclined friend from 10 am Saturday morning until late Saturday night...midnight or so. There were a few distractions in between, but that was a job I don't want to take part in for a while. Worst part was when we buttoned everything up and tried to start it up...no go. The lights turned on and the dreaded Er HC code came up...after some frantic digging and internet searching it turns out the plug to the ECU got unhooked at some point. We never thought to check it because we never intentionally touched it. I suspect it was when we were trying to get the transmission back on. Let's just say the turbo makes things a little interesting on the way back in. Good news is the new clutch is working beautifully and no leaks. Should be good for another 115K miles. If any of you are planning on tackling your own and have questions about specifics, feel free to ask while it's still fresh in my memory.

Ahhh, I did my first one on my back in four hours. (and I'm old:lol:) The trick is to just slide the tranny back enough so you can get at the clutch and FW. Leave the axles in the car, just pop the ball joint and slide the axles back out of the way......leave the tranny on the jack.

I feel your pain, it took me three days to recover from sore, aching muscles after that job.:redface:

You got it done, good job! Were the motor and trans stuck together?

Yeah, we were prying for about half an hour. Stepped back and thought about it for awhile. We ended up using a come-along to add a little pressure. We bolted a chain to the tranny mount holes, wrapped another chain around the rear differential bracket and cinched up the come-along. She popped loose with the pry bar pretty easy after that. Looking back we could have gotten away without removing all the parts. I was just going by the vacation pics, didn't want to get myself into anymore trouble than i was already in. I hear ya on the sore back, I didn't do much but lick my wounds on sunday.Nice to have it done though. My throw out bearing was on it's last legs.

Kind of makes you feel "midevil" but you gotta do shit like that sometimes. You should have seen me putting my motor in Sat. I could not get the block closer than an inch and a half from the bell housing. I pulled it back out three times to check the clutch alignment. Just when the evil thoughts started I knew it was time to walk away from it for a while. Ten minutes later I walked over and gave it a push and it slid right in.

• I Donated
Try doing it on a transverse-layout engine... ;) I have to take off the transmission for the 4th time in a year and a half soon on my Infiniti G20 which the LGT replaced (first time, the trans died; second, I installed a lightweight flywheel; third time, the clutch lost a spring; this time, the clutch AND the trans are broken again). Can you see why I bought the LGT? :rolleyes:

Archived