LegacyGT.com

Out off state purchase

jjwink

Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to do or know to buy a car out of state? Will I end up double-paying taxes somehow?

Just so you know, I live in Indiana, may be buying a 2010 LGT from Illinois.

You need to make the dealer do some work for you. If you're going out of your way to shop over there, have them tell you what needs to be done; it is their job after all.

I bought a car in TX (from IN) and had to pay TTL to TX... but the car was registered and plated in TX. My guess is you'll just have to pay IL tax only.

lol

I just did this a few weeks ago. You only pay sales tax for the state you live in. You just pay the sales tax when you get home and get the vehicle registered. If you want them to roll it into the loan they while just write a check for the tax amount and submit it with the paperwork they send to your states DMV.

Just bought it, they made me pay the tax there and gave me a form that supposedly shows that I paid it.

- red98lude is correct about most places, but supposedly (from a couple other poeple I talked to) what happened with mine is correct because of something worked out between Indiana and the Chicago area.

We'll see when I get home to officially plate it.

Archived