LegacyGT.com

Remove drain plug to rear differential on 4EAT

Does anyone know the tools necessary to remove the plugs on the differential? The only tool I can fit on these bolts is a open end wrench. There just isn't room for a breaker bar or any other socket type wretch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For the rear diff drain and fill plugs I use Permatex high temp thread sealer (not thread locker). The manual says to tighten the plugs to 36.2 lb-ft, but that seems excessive, especially with threads that are lubed with thread sealer and residual gear oil. I tighten to 22 lb-ft, and have not had any leaks.

The standard 1/2" drive square on a breaker bar is a loose fit in the drain and fill plugs, but will get the job done if the plugs are not too tight. The proper socket would have a 13mm square male end, like this one:

http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx

hope this helps

T70 is torx, which the differential is not.

Any 1/2" drive wrench or breaker bar should work, that's what most of us use on here. You may need to throw a short extension on it to clear the sway bar if I remember correctly. If you really can't use a breaker bar, put a pipe on the end of a normal ratchet and crank away.

Make sure to spray the plugs with penetrating oil first.

In checking the repair manual:

2.5i MT - T1 type

2.5i AT - VA1-type

2.5GT MT - T-Type

2.5GT AT - VA2 Type

T1+VA1 the drain bolts face the rear. I guess it's easier for us 5EATers :)

2.5i AT and 2.5GT MT have the same gear ratio of 4.111, the 5EAT has 3.272

They are rear facing. The problem is that there is no room for both a ratchet and a socket to fit behind the bolt. Like I said before, the only tool that fits is an open end wretch.

Archived