LegacyGT.com

My Obsidian Black Pearl Legacy GT Ltd. Wagon

Just took delivery of my automobile. :D At this point to busy to write a review but wanted to give a big thank you to all of the contributors on this board and NASIOC for all of the great information regarding the Legacy GT. I will write up a thorough review soon, but I have to say that Obsidian Black Pearl is the deepest richest black that I have ever seen on an auto. Deep black with flecks of green and blue that give and absolutley beautiful sheen. :o More Later when I am done driving. 8)

I just recently picked up a wagon GT Ltd. All is good and plan on writing my impressions on the weekend to all of you, but for anyone else who just picked one up, here is the first problem I noticed. The cargo door (gate) does not seemed to be aligned properly at the roof of the car. This is causing the right top corner of the gate to scrape against the right rear edge of the roof when I open the cargo gate. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Thanks, Ron

Power and Handling Initial impressions on power and handling are as I am breaking her in oh so gradually. But I can say that she likes to reVVV! 8) I have thrown her around some of my favorite curves and corners at moderate throttle and she stays [b]well-behaved and predictable[/b]; but again I have not had the opportunity to really power out of a turn. One thing that I have noticed is the steering is not as eager to return to center as other cars that I have driven. But I am already used to it. The steering ratio is nice. I traded in a 97 Accord EX and its a world of difference Shifter I will be pursuing aftermarket bushings. My other (read wife's ) car is an 02' MCS and the tranny on that is sublime. Very positive shifting feedback on the MINI. The GT's linkage is relatively rubbery. It is okay but I think that a more precise shifter would really compliment the clutch, which is very smooth, and provide an overall sportier feel. I would also personally like to reduce the height of the shifter by about 1 inch. not sure how much that would affect the shift throws but IMO it would improve the ergnomics. Interior Generally speaking the interior is inspiring. I am 5'10'' 180 lbs. and I find the seats very comfortable, although I have not done any long distance driving yet. The fit and finish is really, really good. As good as, or better than, the Passat's. Actually the aspect of the GT's interior which I think surpasses the Passat is the integration of the entire console, and the driver-centric orientation of the cockpit. It really invites you to drive. :twisted: I will provide more impressions and pics as time allows.

I totally agree with your initial assessment. I particularly notice these handling shortcomings coming from an Acura type R. There does seem to be the need for too much "correction" back to center. A little too much body roll on aggressive cornering as well. The shifter throws like a truck (but much smoother). These are my only complaints so far; power and torque, as well as interior are impressive.

Keep in mind that most cars have overboosted steering with an exaggerated "on center" feel. The Legacy is more of a "you drive it" car, meaning that, as with a proper sporting car, as you take the corner, heading for track out, you are returning the steering to center yourself, feeling what the car is doing at the wheels and steering wheel. Very nice, IMHO. As far as body roll, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it denotes compliance in the springs and dampers. By way of example, I had two different coilover suspensions on my past Legacy GT wagon: Tein HA, and DMS Gold. Spring rates were, respectively, 450/375 and 225/180. Not surprisingly, the Teins had significantly less body roll than the DMS Golds, but guess which coilover handled better? The DMS, by a large margin. That's when I learned that body roll isn't necessarily an accurate gauge of handling goodness, particularly if the suspension is working to keep all four tires planted to the pavement, and all the various angles (slip, caster, etc) correct. The same is true of the WRX. Often, as people dial out body roll, they find that the car handles worse, and is more skittish. Kevin

The other thing with the shifter issue is that feel can be improved immensely with firmer shifter bushings. The STi short throw will not provide a dramatic reduction in lever height or throw length. The STi shorty for the WRX provided something like a 20-30% reduction, which isn't a lot. What made a larger difference in the feel of the STi shifter was the addition of some Kartboy shifter bushings. The STi shifter bushings aren't any firmer than the stock bushings, to these fingers. And the shifter bushing is one of the critical attachment points that affects feel and that feeling of snickety-snick precision. Just something to think about. Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']Good point. [img]http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif[/img] Anyone make aftermarket shifter bushings for these things yet?[/quote] Good question. The part numbers for the respective short shifters (WRX and Legacy) are different. Does this mean they are in fact a different part, or merely a different part number necessitated by the different platform? C'est un bon question, mes amis. I can't for the life of me imagine that Subaru would make a different STi short shifter just for the Legacy, as they are fond of economies of scale...that is, making everything possible fit everything else. Email the lads at Kartboy to see if they've actually thought about it, yet. The other person to contact is Dale Teague at Teague's Racing. He's a good guy and a Legacy vendor (and Cusco devotee). He'll know, as he also carries Kartboy and Cusco, what the dilly-o is. Kevin

gtguy wrote: "Keep in mind that most cars have overboosted steering with an exaggerated "on center" feel. The Legacy is more of a "you drive it" car, meaning that, as with a proper sporting car, as you take the corner, heading for track out, you are returning the steering to center yourself, feeling what the car is doing at the wheels and steering wheel. Very nice, IMHO." As I have been driving it more, and getting more confident with applying the throttle out of turns I totally get what you are saying. The feedback that the GT provides is enlightening. This is my first AWD "sports" car and I am really discovering the difference from FWD. This car RAWKS!!! :twisted:

I'm guessing that the bushings will be the same, since the KB bushings fit in the STi, WRX, RS and I believe the Forester shifters. However, the Leg STi short shifter looks different than the WRX STi short shifter, in particular, the shift rod.

Kevin you're so right about body roll not being a good indication of how well a car handles. My 97 Accord was stock, and it handles just as well, if not better, than my Solara with upgraded suspension. My car is about as stiff as an ITR

The GT shifter is good, better than the WRX, but could use a more positive action. I have missed a few shifts and ground gears, thinking that I was in gear (2 to 3 shift mostly but also going into 1st) when I was not, which is something I can't remember ever doing with my WRX before or after the install of the STi shifter option. I will try bushings before considering the STi shift option. Tom

[quote name='WRXTom']The GT shifter is good, better than the WRX, but could use a more positive action. I have missed a few shifts and ground gears, thinking that I was in gear (2 to 3 shift mostly but also going into 1st) when I was not, which is something I can't remember ever doing with my WRX before or after the install of the STi shifter option. I will try bushings before considering the STi shift option. Tom[/quote] OUCH! No grinding gears! I hope to god that the GT shifter/tranny is better than that is in my WRX. I can't stand it anymore. It's slushy underneath, but the STi short throw makes it notchy... so it's like a notchy-slushy.. I can't stand it. I need something with a more positive feel to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Post break-in impressions: New [b]Hotness[/b]/Ultimate [b]Smoothness[/b] She is at 1171 miles and has just had that first oil change. I feel that I can comment on the power now that I have had some time to get to know her and her tranny. Wow....!!! :o She is faaaaasssstttt and ssmmooooooth!!! The funny thing I would never have been able to tap into the real power of the car if not for reading this forum. [b]Thanks to all!!![/b] I had to become familiar with the unique qualities of the turbo engine and transmission to wield the power. WOT??? Not with this one. Roll into the accelerator??? YESSS!!! :twisted: I have to revisit what I had said in my initial impressions regarding the shifter feel. As I have been breaking her in :oops: , I have been focusing on driving with both hands on the steering wheel, instead of 1 hand on the wheel and 1 on the shifter. The shifter is perfectly placed for shifting and returning to the wheel. Also, what I initially perceived as slightly rubbery action (compared to my wife's MCS)I have come to appreciate as smooth and liquid vs. mechanical. The feel has become more positive, almost as if the linkage has been able to establish its true in gear positions as break-in has progressed. The shifter feel, power delivery and quiet quality of the cabin all contribute to the overall vibe of the car which seems to be ultimate smoothness. 8) [size=2](disclaimer: the following anecdote is in no way meant to advocate unsafe driving on public roads)[/size] This theme is also carried over in the chassis dynamics. I had the occaision to flirt with the grip limitations of the RE92's on a 2-lane freeway entrance ramp. I took the outside HOV lane to see how the AWD would behave. I approached the ramp in 3rd and initial turn-in was nice as usual. I faded to the outside lane maintaining a medium throttle. At the 50% point of the curve moderate understeer became apparent, I applied more throttle in an effort to correct. The front end tucked in as I anticipated, but as I got to the 80% point of the curve both I could hear the front and rear tires squeeling. Now be aware that my wife was in the car as well and i could see her glance my way. In any other wwd vehicle I would have to ease off and allow the car to correct itself, but the Legacy was still tracking the line that I wanted and almost seemed to be enjoying it. I stayed on the throttle and actually increased it slightly. The tires hooked up and we shot past the line of single occupant cars waiting for the on-ramp green light. The thing that struck me about the whole event was the high level of feedback that I received from the car, and the smoothness of the engine and chassis. The true nature of this car really becomes apparent as time is spent behind the wheel and learning who she is. She is Smooth! 8) She is hot!! :twisted: and she is mine!!! :love:

Archived