LegacyGT.com

CHP got me!

For tinted tail lights. Than proceeded to make me pop my hood and look for anything illegal. Good thing i only gutted my stock down pipe and replaced the front with an oem sti up pipe. Nothing shiny to look at there lol. All stockish looking. Said i might be missing my front o2 but i have both of those. Unless he meant the EGT sensor. Stupid WRX/STI crowd. only reason he looked under there was cause he knows those guys replace the downpipes and sensor in there. He even said he 'doesn't know' legacy's though. I decided not to tell him its the same engine lol.

Gotta give him credit though. He didn't write me a ticket for anything and wasn't a dick to me. I'm not even mad since he's just doing his job. Said since i was a local, wasn't speeding, doing anything wrong really, and wasn't trying to dodge him by getting off the freeway and making a bunch of turns he wasn't going to bother me by sending me to the referee or ticketing for the tail lights.

So warning to all you Cali people. CHP is getting kinda smarter with the Subi modified stuff. Well at least in my small town.

Side not. are FMIC illegal sense they are not OEM on our cars?

Tinted tails are illegal because they can be hard to see. I saw one that was tinted so dark that his brake lights were the same intensity as everyone else's running lights.

FMIC are legal if the manufacturer has gotten CARB approval. Any changes to the engine/transmission/exhaust that isn't a stock replacement part must be approved by CARB.

The only reason California is this way is because idiots like to vote liberal tree huggers into office. It's even illegal to put racing fuel into a street vehicle. If you take a corner "too fast" you can get your car impounded for 30 days.

if you're into car aftermarket, don't move to California.

That's why I like my Prodrive cans. They look very close to stock.

IMHO, you increase your odds exponentially of being pulled over and scrutinized for modded parts in CA if you have coffee can-sized exhaust tips, tinted lights, debadging or being Asian while driving an Impreza, RSX/Integra, Civic or Accord. Not necessarily in that order.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

how do the prodrives sound? i've only heard perrins and magnaflows in person, and i really like how the perrins sound.

They aren't as "aggressive" as magnaflows or greddys. I've never heard perrins in person. I would say the prodrives are at the mellow end of the spectrum which suits me (and my wife) just fine.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

Good luck finding them. Rare as clean dirt. I don't ever get bothered by cops passing by with the prodrives.

Back OT, why does Cali always have the best modded cars when the laws are so strict regarding them?

Don't pop your hood for CHP. They can't just ask you to pop it because you have tinted tails.

Intercoolers aren't regulated by CARB assuming they serve no other purpose.

Intercoolers are regulated. Everything between (and including) the air intake box to the cat is considered emission control device. If it is not an OEM part and stated as such, that manufacturer must get an exemption from CARB. Even the SPT intake for the LGT comes with CARB exemption sticker.

See Appendix A for a list of what CARB regulates. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/vc27156procedures.pdf

As far as what a chippy can do, if they ask for your permission to search your vehicle including popping the hood, then they don't have any PC. You do not have to submit to a search. Not submitting to a voluntary search is not PC for a search.

If they have PC, they will conduct the search without needing your permission. At this point issue your statement that you choose to remain silent (now required by SCOTUS) and keep your mouth shut and deal with it in court. Anything you say can and will be used against you in court. Notice miranda rights says "against you". Cops can arrest you for anything, but the courts have to prove you guilty.

Don't pop your hood for CHP. They can't just ask you to pop it because you have tinted tails.

Intercoolers aren't regulated by CARB assuming they serve no other purpose.

If you are being politely asked then you can politely decline if you wish. If you have nothing to hide then it may be in your interests to satisfy his curiosity and show you're a law-abiding citizen. You increase you chances of a warning any time you treat the officer with respect.

But if the officer *demands* to conduct a search then what are you going to do?

Answer: Don't argue at the roadside. Have your lawyer argue what is or is not Probable Cause at some later point. At the side of the road the cop will always win, even if if takes three of his buddies and enough taser shots to cause rolling blackouts in the surrounding area.

If they have PC, they will conduct the search without needing your permission. At this point issue your statement that you choose to remain silent (now required by SCOTUS) and keep your mouth shut and deal with it in court. Anything you say can and will be used against you in court. Notice miranda rights says "against you". Cops can arrest you for anything, but the courts have to prove you guilty.

You are correct that they need probable cause, but without being able to see under your hood, it would be VERY difficult for them to get Probable cause to believe that you had aftermarket parts. They would have to "hear" it or "see it" to be able to show that they have enough probable cause.

Archived