LegacyGT.com

4EAT Fluid Level Question - Need answer asap please

Hi guys, it's my first post here as you can see. I didn't have time to introduce myself yet... but I recently bought a 98 LGT wagon.

I did a full drive train flush today but I'm having troubles with the tranny fluid level. I'm familiar with the steps to follow, having done it before on another car, but I can't get a good reading on my subie!

All I can see on the dipstick is a thin film of oil going almost twice above the "hot" F mark, but only near the edge. Sometimes I can't even see the oil...

I removed more than 4.5 US qt, perhaps because the car was slightly leaning back (it is now leveled), and put around 3 US qt back in (as suggested in the owners manual).

Should I just add more, up to the same amount I flushed or what? :spin:

edit: seems like I was just missing some. I didn't want to add too much you know, wanted to be sure! :icon_roll

Picture from the previous owner:

DSCN3457.jpg.fab542d06097359c6abee7c0eadc4541.jpg

Did you figure it out? I'm sure you know this, but make sure to check the fluid with the car running. The dipstick will have two holes, one for Low and one for Full. If the bottom hole is filled with fluid, but the top is empty, you're some where in between. If the bottom hole is not filled, then you need to add more. Don't overfill.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Yes I did. When I went to dump my old fluids at the garage I asked a mechanic, old family friend, to check it. When he did the level was finally visible and at the COLD "L" hole. So he told me to just add one liter more.

I just couldn't believe I had to add so much more than what the book said.

I'll check it again tomorrow to make sure it's fine.

Yes I did. When I went to dump my old fluids at the garage I asked a mechanic, old family friend, to check it. When he did the level was finally visible and at the COLD "L" hole. So he told me to just add one liter more.

I just couldn't believe I had to add so much more than what the book said.

I'll check it again tomorrow to make sure it's fine.

if you took out 4.5 qts, you need to put back in 4.5 qts. the manual says 3? qts because when drained on flat ground you get 3? qts out.

also , to check for the correct amount of fluid you should do it with the engine running and warmed up having shifted through all of the gears, so the fluid is well distributed.

but this does not mean you cannot check it when it is COLD with the engine off just to see if you are in the ballpark. the fluid expands when hot but only by about a pint, not qts. so if you are close when cold / engine off you can tweak the level when hot / engine running.

also i have heard that checking both sides of the stick will help you read it, and if any part of the stick is dry, the lowest dry point is the reading. i've also heard that dipping the stick in ice water, wiping dry and then taking a reading will help define the level on the stick. but i don't know.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, and no one may be reading, but just adding my two cents.

I had the same issue. I have been messing with (note.... not fixing) cars for 25 years, and never had an issue reading a stinking dipstick like I did on my 4eat tranny. I did a drain and fill, and the first time, I didn't have my drain pan in the right place, so I didn't know how much came out. When refilling, I couldn't for the life of me get a solid reading on the dipstick. I did it hot, I did it cold, and I swear, I couldn't figure out what the reading was.

Finally, after much consternation, I determined I was overfilled by about a quart. I put my drain pan back under, slowly loosened the drain plug, and let out a little at a time, measured it, and repeated this until I had a little over a quart removed. I did this with the engine and tranny cold, and used the cold measurement lines. Now my reading is right on, and I'm hopeful to not do this again until next Spring.

I did this to cure a torque bind issue, and it worked wonders, and also made my tranny shift like butter.

I guess my point is, to the OP, don't feel bad. I had the same issue and thought I was an idiot because I couldn't read a dipstick.

If we are idiots, at least we are not alone!! :)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

So planning to do the 2-3 drain and fills with about 300 miles in between each.

Planning on having the front of the car up on ramps to make access easier. Any ideas on how much fluid I should expect to get out each time?

less than a gallon but more than 3 qts. about 3.5 qts.

you don't need to drive 300 miles in between. you just need to drive and shift into all gears to make sure ALL of the fluid is circulating.

it is easier to do all 3 on the same afternoon. you will have all the stuff out and the 3rd time should go alot quicker than the first.

Thanks John,

And now the stupid question. I see a lot of info on an internal metal piece with a filter in it. Best I remember I have what looks like an oil filter right next to the transmission pan. I had always presumed this was an external trans filter - am I right? If yes, my plan was to replace it after the third drain...

• I Donated
I believe the 99+ 4EAT transmissions have an external spin on filter. Just spin it off, and spin a new one on just like you would with a normal oil filter. You can probably only get the filter from Subaru

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i read a horror story recently where the owner could not get the filter to spin off. it ended up getting mangled. so be sure you have everything you need before you start. i think he ended up stabbing a screwdriver thru it and using it as a lever to remove.

• I Donated

I use these. Works 99% of the time.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/bike-it_oil-filter-pliers_ofwpli.jpg

If filter pliers fail, I use one of the following 2. No mechanics tool set is complete without these 3 tools

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachments/f88/12904d1215990850-filter-wrench-oem-oil-filter-oil-filter-claw-wrench.jpg

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/g2198_300px.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

yes, you do. get a funnel with a long tube on the bottom from the parts store, ~3$ - 4$.

i recently bought, for a few $$, an attachment with a hose and an on / off valve, that would thread onto a 1 qt. or a 1 gal. bottle. it cost a little more but it worked great. it allowed me to up end the ATF bottle and then open the valve for filling.

• 3 weeks later...
it's a pain to do, you need several empty jugs the same size, but if you measure how much you removed and refill the same amount you are good. if the level was right before you drained it it will be right after you fill it.

• I Donated
Why not just have a shop do a flush and refill? Other wise you will likely never get all the old dirty fluid out.

Because flushes are known to be dangerous on higher mileage transmissions.

I've seen several 100k+ mileage transmissions that have been flushed and started slipping gears immediately after. These problems don't happen with a drain and fill

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I believe the 99+ 4EAT transmissions have an external spin on filter. Just spin it off, and spin a new one on just like you would with a normal oil filter. You can probably only get the filter from Subaru

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it also has an internal filter that should be replaced?

My '99 took exactly a gallon (when I drained via drain plug only).

I'll tell you what, it sure looked like more.

I bought a big plastic tray at dollar general, the kind used to store stuff under the bed, used it for a drain pan.

Poured the old fluid into a an old jug, I was pleased it was only a gallon.

Walmart sells gallons of the proper fluid for $10.00 - perfect for flushes, I am due for #2.

And I am confused on the filters, I thought for sure my 99 had both ???

Archived