LegacyGT.com

Tranny fluid leak from CV axle.

So a while back i posted about my 05 5MT leaking transmission fluid. It is leaking from the drivers side where the CV axle connects to the transmission. Its a slight leak, just gradual over time. The actual axle looks fine with no damage.

I originally thought i needed a new CV Axle, but my new question is: is there some sort of gasket? sealing ring? that could have gone bad and is the cause of the leak? Those who have experience, could you confirm/speculate this for me? I'm not familiar to that area, and your advice would be help.

Please help a fellow suby lover. Thanks

Was the axle pulled out for any reason? And no you shouldnt need a new axle unless it was damaged somehow, or the joints/boot are shot. The seal in there is very easily damaged if removing the axle and putting it back in, i.e for a clutch install, etc.

There is a seal there but its a pain to replace as to get to the seal you have to remove the bearing cap for the front diff. You have to make sure to mark it and set it back to where it was EXACTLY, as this sets the bearing preload for the front diff.

Since i have owned it, no it hasn't been pulled out. Like i said everything looks to be normal, no tears in it or anything. I can just see the slow drip lines from the oil coming from the spot where the axle enters the transmission. it runs down the transmission to the lowest point then drips to the ground.

It is a slow leak and i've been keeping a close eye on the level of my fluid. But i'd like to figure it out so i don't have to worry about the fluid level all the time. Do you think its possible that seal has slowly worn down? is this something i shouldn't attempt to deal with on my own? Id rather not go to a dealership and pay out the wazoo for it.

Mine leaked a little from there after my clutch install. Turns out it just wasn't clicked all the way in. Put it on the rack and I pushed on it, and it popped right in.

Sounds like you have a seal problem though.

So i guess this is why people say to search the forum, although in my defense i found this thread by searching google (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/showthread.php?t=92936) This looks to be my problem, as they are describing the exact same thing.

Kylar i read in that thread exactly what you were talking about. apparently the seal can be replaced without removing the bearing cap. So i think i will give it a try.

I had this same problem a while back. I take my car to Boxer4Racing in Asheville for tuning and trouble shooting. They know there stuff down there, me... not so much. Anyway, they investigated and found my cv axle had just popped out slightly, just like you describe, they just pushed it back in, and I havent had a leak since.

The cause:

They say 360's can cause the trouble, I had done a few donuts in the wet dewy grass, I have a manual, this time I switched gears during the donut, got really fast tight 360's in 3rd gear. But think about how fast the axles are turning and how sharp the wheel is turned, add some vibration from the yard and "presto" this is what they think did it to me.

Anyway, I'm sorry to make fellow enthusiasts cringe, but I love my car, sure I beat her a bit, but she takes it, this small repair is not major, the car is VERY tough. 1st Subaru, 1st AWD, 1st turbo car...... I made a great choice with the Subaru!

Ha ha, thanks for the comment lwood, and you didn't make me cringe. I live in utah where any time there is snow in an open parking lot, you better believe i will do a few "donuts". And i did quite a few this past winter. I haven't really checked the axle to see if it can be pushed back in, but i will for sure give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

• 6 years later...
Look for a crack around the seal. It's a 91, so it may be cheaper to just keep adding fluid instead of fixing it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived