LegacyGT.com

Performance penalty with 225/45x17 tires?

outahere

Have a question for those who have changed to 225/45x17 tires from the stock 215/45x17 size. Have you noticed a "seat of the pants" difference in acceleration? This tire size difference effectively changes the final drive ratio from 4.111:1 (GT manual trans), to around 4.019:1.

I am considering changing to this tire size, but don't want to do it if it makes the LGT feel sluggish. I don't care about 0-60 times, but do care about the acceleration "feel".

Also curious if you have noticed an improvement in highway mileage.

On a side note, at the Pirelli web site the approved wheel width for a 225/45x17 PZero Nero M&S tire is stated to be 7.0" to 9.0". Hard to imagine that the tire would work well on a 9" wide wheel, isn't it?

Have a question for those who have changed to 225/45x17 tires from the stock 215/45x17 size. Have you noticed a "seat of the pants" difference in acceleration? This tire size difference effectively changes the final drive ratio from 4.111:1 (GT manual trans), to around 4.019:1.

I am considering changing to this tire size, but don't want to do it if it makes the LGT feel sluggish. I don't care about 0-60 times, but do care about the acceleration "feel".

Also curious if you have noticed an improvement in highway mileage.

On a side note, at the Pirelli web site the approved wheel width for a 225/45x17 PZero Nero M&S tire is stated to be 7.0" to 9.0". Hard to imagine that the tire would work well on a 9" wide wheel, isn't it?

I cant see it making a noticable difference. If it did you would only be able to tell at very low speeds. A 225 mm wide tire on a 9" wheel is called stretchhhh.

Some 225/45R-17 tires are smaller than some 215/45R-17's and vice versa, so should make little noticeable difference.

Maybe this is more true for competition tires than for AS street tires? Both the PZeroNero and Proxes4 are larger in diameter than the RE92. Where the 215mm RE92 does 847 revs/mile, the 225mm PZN will do 833, and the 225mm P4 will do 828 (based on each manufacturer's data).

I am curious if anyone has put the 225 on the stock 17" wheels and how much different the ride and handling is. I have been reading that tire sizes vary within the sime width. I don't want to get them and have them mess up the ride, I am looking for better performance. I like the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX and would plan on using those again. Comfortable ride, excellent wet traction, great treadwear rating, good dry traction but the side walls were a little soft. I can't do the tire swapping thing as in the younger days and although I am thinking about changing the springs, things have changed so much that I think that will not happen this year.

I figure I can get better tires and live with better traction, handling and treadwear. The suspension I can live with for now, but if the wider tires don't do better on the stock rim, then I will go with factory size.

Most of you guys (and even me) can barely feel the difference of 225/45/17 on the stock rim. I run R-compounds (as well as 2 other tires) on my stock rims (when I still had them) and a little bit of extra PSI in the tires will make it feel better than stock. I dont think I feel any added sluggishness.. if you can't feel the difference of a full tank of gas vs. 1 gallon worth of gas, then you wont notice the tire size difference either.

No real improvement in highway miles either. The grip factor might be a little bit better, but that's based on compound of the tire, not the width. You would need to add a whole 1" worth of tread width to feel the difference in grip based on the width-comparison.

As for a 225 wide tire on a 9" wide rim, yea, it's doable, it's easy to stretch a sidewall out, but it's harder doing it the other way such as a 255 wide on a 7.5" rim. The real determination of it fitting and proper fitment to prevent tire-rollover is really based on the height of the sidewall and the rim's lip construction (J or JJ or S).

Keefe

Keefe

Hi,

I was thinking about upgrading to 235/45/17 tires and maybe 17 x 7.5 wheels. Those of you who has this tire size, what size wheels do you use? Just wondering if that size can fit on the 7.5 inch wide wheels. Also do you notice any difference in acceleration? The diameter is a bit bigger than stock.

Thanks.

Hi,

I was thinking about upgrading to 235/45/17 tires and maybe 17 x 7.5 wheels. Those of you who has this tire size, what size wheels do you use? Just wondering if that size can fit on the 7.5 inch wide wheels. Also do you notice any difference in acceleration? The diameter is a bit bigger than stock.

Thanks.

Stick with 225 on a 7.5 wheel.

Archived